monitor "out of range" on bootup

nod32

OSNN Addict
I recently installed ubuntu and am dual booting it with xp. At times during bootup (before and after grub bootloader) my monitor shows me a flickering "out of range" message. It shows resolution, and vertical/horizontal frequencies, but I cant see what they are because its flickering so fast.

Anyway, i was reading up on google about this but it never gets resolved. I have no options to change this in bios. Theres only one option about video, and that if i want it in vga, cga40, cga80 or mono. Theres no options on my monitor to change anything like that either.

Is there any way I can force the refresh rate, or resolution during bootup?

thanks,
nod32

I had this problem with my server when I first installed it; this might not be an option but put a better quality monitor on the computer and then turn down the settings, then reboot with the other monitor. Im not that familiar with linux so you will have to wait for a more technical answer :p

Do you mean trying to turn down the settings in bios? Because my moniter is fine once i get in there. This wouldn't be such a problem, but ever since I installed ubuntu check disk always comes up when I boot XP. And once it finishes it just sits there and I have to restart.

Since I cant see the screen booting up, I have to sit there hitting space bar to skip check disk so I can boot up normally. But thats a whole nother issue...

oooo i see, so you monitor doesnt support boot resolutions? Never heard of that before

Lets get this straight:

Can you see the bios screens and the POST screen?

Are you using on board video or a card?

Once XP is up is the resolution ok?

Sounds like the Ubuntu drivers are requesting a resolution that is too high. You might be able to modify the Ubuntu start up files to request a lower resolution.

This post really belongs in the Linux section where someone who knows the details should be able to help you. It's not a hardware issue if the POST screen is visible. The OS (Ubuntu or XP) sets the video rates.

I cant see the post screen. Thats the only part I cant see. I see grub, select my os, and then I loose the image until the xp logon screen. Resolution in Xp and ubuntu is perfect. Thats why i posted in hardware section, because once the os is up and running everything is fine.

Im using an ati radeon 7200.

Since it is happening before X and after post, you must have a misconfigured video range in your grub menu.lst file.

Code:
## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

should i put it under defoptions=quiet splash or replace it?
sorry, im really new to linux..

No, that is not the problem. It would be the vga= line, but Ubuntu has so many quirks with its config file handling, I am not sure how to help and it will automatically overwrite your config files without user intervention [my main pet peeve with Ubuntu].

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=vga=0x316 resume=/dev/hda2

Change as above. You don't need the splash setting.

nm, I was reading it as something else. Good luck with fixing it.

Last edited:
still no luck :(
i saved menu.lst as root then ran sudo update-grub and restarted, but still nothing.

thanks for your responses

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back