Monitor opinion?

Android412

OSNN Addict
Has anybody here tried the Dell 1905FP monitor?

Bought a Samsung 913V and just don't like it. Can't really put my finger on it. Think its the contrast ratio. Colors seems either washed out, or over whelming(depending on the settings).

Dell's site says the 1905FP has a 800:1 contrast vs. the 600:1 of the Samsung.

The 2001FP, and the 2005FPW are highly recommended on this site, but a little more then I want to spend right now.

Android412

Dont do it...

spend the extra $$ and get the 2005fpw, you also get a better native resolution, something to think about...

its the best monitor for the money... and NetRyder always seems to find great rebates...

NETS.... help Android out here...

I have to disagree, only slightly. The 1905FP is a good monitor, as I can personally atest since we use them here at work extensively. The native resolution difference is substantial, moving from 1280x1024 on the 1905 to 1600x1200 on the 2005 +

However, if you don't need the increase in resolution, I would go with the 1905FP

kcnychief said:
I have to disagree, only slightly. The 1905FP is a good monitor, as I can personally atest since we use them here at work extensively. The native resolution difference is substantial, moving from 1280x1024 on the 1905 to 1600x1200 on the 2005 +

However, if you don't need the increase in resolution, I would go with the 1905FP

Well I am a gamer... so to me, the better native resolution was the selling point in getting my Dell...

If you dont game alot, then maybe you dont need it... but its still nice to have.... plus there is less than a $200 difference....

What you need it for should be the determining factor...

mlakrid said:
Well I am a gamer... so to me, the better native resolution was the selling point in getting my Dell...

If you dont game alot, then maybe you dont need it... but its still nice to have.... plus there is less than a $200 difference....

What you need it for should be the determining factor...

Very good point, and to be honest I don't game so that could make me a bit biased. I have a 19" personally, and it does the job quite nicely. :)

Well, I am a lite to medium gamer, but dont know if I can justify the extra $$$. Having a hard enough time justifing the $400ish on the Samsung/1905FP, over the 17 flat crt I still have, that has no problems.

better look again...
the 2005fpw is only $463 right now look HERE

Since you mentioned that you do play games, I thought I should point this out. The 1905FP has a 20ms response time, which might be a little on the high side. You typically want less than 16ms; the lower the better.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the native resolution of the panel is 1280x1024, which is the same as that of the 17" panels, so you don't really gain much over them. If I were in your position (and I was a few months ago), I'd go with the 17" 1704FPT which has the same native resolution and a lower response time, or spring for the 20" 2005FPW. The 19" panels seem like an odd intermediate to me, unless you can get one with a higher resolution than 1280x1024.

I personally have a 1905, and I tried it for gaming. It practically made me sick. I use it as my 2ndary text/chat monitor because it is much more clear, as well as brighter than my 19" CRT which I use as my gaming monitor. Dual Display!

If you want a gaming monitor, I'd go with the VX922 as it has 2ms response time, but is only a 6bit monitor whereas you could get the Samsung 940b which is an 8 bit monitor with 8ms response time.
Samsung 940b
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001066
Viewsonic VX922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375

i just went with the samsung 740B. 600:1, 8ms.
its a great find for the cash i paid.
really happy with it. no ghosting, colours are very vibrant!

Android412 said:
Oh crap, didn't realize the 1905FP was 20ms.

Any comments on this Gateway?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10069431&catid=22335&logon=&langid=EN
(I work there, staff purchase is about the same as the 2005FPW but with better specs)

Dell 2005FPW
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-4111&category_id=4009&c=ca&l=en&cs=CADHS1

More then I want to spend, and not a 100% yet, but seems like its the better choice in the long run.

go with the dell out of those two choices...

just my opinion.. :D

For gaming I'd suggest the 2001FP or the 2405FPW. Pretend the 2005 doesnt exist since its a stretched 17" panel.

LordOfLA said:
For gaming I'd suggest the 2001FP or the 2405FPW. Pretend the 2005 doesnt exist since its a stretched 17" panel.
It's a 20" Widescreen panel? How does that make it a "stretched" 17" ?

Measure the hights. Just cos its a 20" diagonal doesnt mean its the same as my 20" 4:3 2001 :)

The widescreen equivalent of te 2001 is the 2405. My boss has two 2005FPW's on his desk - they are shorter than my 2001 and do not provide him with 1600:1200 as a resolution option.

Widescreen monitors aren't as big as their 4:3 / 5:4 equals. That doesn't mean that they're stretched.

Android412 said:
Oh crap, didn't realize the 1905FP was 20ms.

Any comments on this Gateway?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10069431&catid=22335&logon=&langid=EN
(I work there, staff purchase is about the same as the 2005FPW but with better specs)

Dell 2005FPW
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-4111&category_id=4009&c=ca&l=en&cs=CADHS1

More then I want to spend, and not a 100% yet, but seems like its the better choice in the long run.

Just setup that Gateway for someone -- very nice. I'm thinking about getting one for use as a multimedia monitor in my bedroom (w/HTPC, HDTV receiver/dvd, etc). It has a great selection of inputs (and PIP), and supports HDCP on the DVI (my HDTV receiver won't play DVDs through VGA or DVI without HDCP enabled)

Also, the screen seems to be very well balanced. Height, tilt and pivoting (to portrait mode) adjust very smoothly/effortlessly.

If you work at a place that carries it, can't you test one out before buying?

Yeah, what Gus said. When it come to monitors you really need to see and handle one using the applications you use (games) and preferably with the same ambient lighting you have at home.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back