Monitor getting progressively brighter?

Ketchupisyourfriend

OSNN Senior Addict
I bought a new monitor a few months ago, it was cheap so I wasn't expecting the highest quality or anything. It's a Samtron 76DF and the past few days I've noticed that things were getting harder to read and my dark colors weren't looking as dark as they used to. Yesterday I went to the brightness setting menu and lowered it from 50 to about 20 and things looked ok. I woke up today and everything looked a little too bright again, I lowered it down from 20 all the way to 0 and it looks fine for now. I've checked for a loose connection in the back, but it's on there tight. Any ideas on what could be causing something like this? Is the monitor going bad already? Thanks for any help you can give.

Assuming you are sure no one is messing with your monitor (roommates, siblings, etc).

First off this is a new one on me, Usually monitors get darker as they age not brighter:

Call their customer service while it's still in warantee! On the brioght side they have a toll free number for most countries. http://www.samtron.com/customer_service/customer_service_01.html

It could also be the vid card acting up, but again this is not the usual symptom for a vid card (usually artifacts or the system locks up during gaming).

And just for grins see if the vertical freq is changing in windows. My brightness changes when I change the vert refresh rate. Windows and apps have done strange things to my vert over the years.

BTW Samtron is made by Samsung who get a lot of good reviews on NTFS for their Syncmaster line (I have one). The Samtron line is their "affordable" series.

Yea, I'm sure nobody is messing with it unless I'm a sleepwalker and don't know it. I've seen monitors get darker before but I was really surprised with this one getting bright. I'll try the customer service line, thanks for the help.

Check your startup folder for Adobe gamma loader, I don't know if that's been known to cause problems like that, but I don't trust it.

yea the gamma loader is there, it's always been there. I'll play around with it a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Originally posted by LeeJend
And just for grins see if the vertical freq is changing in windows. My brightness changes when I change the vert refresh rate. Windows and apps have done strange things to my vert over the years.

How do I check that? Is it just the refresh rate?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back