Monitor Decision

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
I am looking into getting a new LCD monitor for everyday use (i bought one for a friend and tried it out for a little bit, and i loved it). My question to the rest of OSNN is: do you like LCDs for everyday use and how do they typically hold up over long periods of use etc... I tried the Samsung SyncMaster170N and am thinking about getting that one, anyone have it?

only thing i dont like about em is they dimple so easy... if you move it around alot your gona dimple it eventually.

(taps glass of 21 inch viewsonic)

LCD's are nice. As sraycoz said if you move them around a lot or don't treat them with care they can get a little messed up. Otherwise I think they are great. If you are cramped for space I would definitely go with an LCD.

what about the specs of them? what are good specifications for LCDs?

I use an LCD display all day (it's a laptop...no choice =P), and I love it.
My previous display hooked up to the old desktop was a 17" ViewSonic flat CRT. The most noticeable difference is text display. If you do a lot of on-screen reading especially, text on LCD screens is so much more crisp and clear. Plus, it's much easier on the eyes if you're in front of the screen for long periods of time.
On the other hand, unless you get a very good LCD display, you'll notice that colors seem more realistic on a CRT if you're working with Photoshop. Also, ghosting can be an issue if you're a gamer, unless the LCD has a low response time.
All-in-all, I'd take an LCD over a CRT anytime, but do a bit of research before you go in for one if you want to avoid the last two points that I mentioned.
Good luck!
smile.gif

But NetRyder- remember a laptop LCD is different than a regular desktop LCD. Yours is a TFT LCD and has all kinds of anti-reflective and anti-scratch stuff on the screen.

dreamliner77 said:
But NetRyder- remember a laptop LCD is different than a regular desktop LCD. Yours is a TFT LCD and has all kinds of anti-reflective and anti-scratch stuff on the screen.
While that's true, there shouldn't be that much of a difference in the actual display itself, right?
I've also worked on the machines in the labs on campus (17" Dell LCDs), and the quality of the display on those is still much better than comparative CRTs, in my opinion...of course, with the limitations I mentioned in my previous post.

Maybe not much noticable, but there is alot of difference between normal TFT and LCD.

Maybe I'm just too used to CRT's, but I have to have an enjoyable experience with any LCD.

well if it helps you decide on which LCD to buy, the 17", 19" LCD Monitor - SyncMaster 173P, 193P won the gold award at the IDEA 2004 Awards link (item under computer equipment)

My NATCOMP 15 inch (14.1 inch visable) is ok, used it now for 4 years, still as fresh as the day I bought it.

I would say, try before you buy. Lots of stores have them running, don't buy it before you try it.

i think that i am going to go for a 193p from samsung. it is a pretty penny ($700 on newegg OEM), but i think it will be worth it. does anyone have the 173p or 193p? also, i have a KVM which is a VGA switch. is DVI alot better than VGA? i really don't know the difference.

This has to be one of the classiest LCD displays I've seen so far in terms of features:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...sku=320-1578&category_id=4009&c=us&l=en&cs=19

In addition to the usual VGA/DVI input ports, it also includes S-Video and Composite video ports so that you can plug it into your cable box and watch TV without a TV tuner card or anything of the sort. Nice 4-port USB hub built-in as well.

There's a good review of it here:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=159756

Costs quite a bit though.
smile.gif

Jz1397-5 said:
i think that i am going to go for a 193p from samsung. it is a pretty penny ($700 on newegg OEM), but i think it will be worth it. does anyone have the 173p or 193p? also, i have a KVM which is a VGA switch. is DVI alot better than VGA? i really don't know the difference.

I think you made a great choice. I dont have one myself, but my friends do, and i havent heard anything but great reviews about it.

TFT screens with digital inputs attract additional import tax here in the UK due to EEC directives and TFT’s have only one native resolution at present unless you are prepared to spend megabucks. They still cannot compete with the 21” CRT flat screen monitors now available at knocked down prices from Sony and others which can produce their almost perfect pictures at any resolution. I’m sure that in the next few years they will catch up but if you’re using any programme or game with its own special resolution mode TFT technology is way behind.

If you don’t mid 1024 x 768 then you are ok with TFT. Nice clean display.

:) :) :)

It's a major difference between DVI & Analog .. very !
I own the 153V(second one) and It's awesome ..
The first is the 172X which I want to buy in this winter .. I can take a conclusion about it then but I've saw it working : = splendid ! ..
If possible try to obtain with DVI

Cosmin

Attachments

• Samsung 153V.jpg
    Samsung 153V.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Samsung 172X'.jpg
    Samsung 172X'.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 76
what is the benifit of DVI? does the image look that much better? also can i have a DVI and VGA cable hooked up and toggle between the two?

DVI is better (usually) because the signal remains digital. It doesn't have to get converted to analog on the vid card and then back to digital in the LCD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back