I've just got a video capture card with:
S Video in
RCA video in but
"NO" RCA audio in
and my VCR (old/refurbished) has
RCA jacks in/out (audio/video) and
"NO" S Video connections

My question is ;
is it possible for me to modify the RCA jacks audio/video out from my vcr and an s video connector at one end so that it can be connected to the capture card.? At the moment it works well (video) but of course no sound !How do I solder those cables ? Haven't really seen the inside of that s video connector.Thanks for any reply.

You can buy a cable that will go from RCA to mini 1/8" plug, i.e. the kind used on soundcards. Then you can run that from the RCA connectors on the vcr to your soundcard (or capture card if it has the connector) and an RCA cable from your VCR to the RCA Video In on the capture card. No soldering needed! :)

There is no "audio in" on that capture card, but I'll try to connect it to my soundcard..but what about the "microphone in " on the capture card ?

When you say "microphone in" on the capture card are you sure that it's for connecting a microphone? I've never seen a video capture card with a microphone in, just line ine. (Not that I've seen them all, of course! :)) What kind of capture card is it? You could use the microphone in, however, if your sound card has a line in jack, that'd be the better choice. Whichever you choose, make sure that the appropriate one is selected as the source for audio when you're recording.

Ok, based on what I read about the card you should run the audio from the VCR to your sound card's line in and the video from the VCR to the capture card's video in.

DAHHHH!!!! THERE CALLED A/V CABLES!!!! AUDIO VIDEO!!!!

I honestly don't know how RCA got there name on A/V cables!!!

anyway you can get a S-video to compsite video converter.
and an A/V to phono jack converter so you can plug that into your sound cards line in

DAHHHH!!!! THERE CALLED A/V CABLES!!!! AUDIO VIDEO!!!!

I honestly don't know how RCA got there name on A/V cables!!!

anyway you can get a S-video to compsite video converter.
and an A/V to phono jack converter so you can plug that into your sound cards line in

Yeah !!!! I got it.I wonder why after so many years behind a PC never thought of that 'line in ' jack..but I used that composite rca jack to 1/8 jack for the audio....thanks guys.working great now..

A/V CABLES!!!!!!! AAARRRRRRGGG!!!!!! MUST KILL WHOEVER STARTED CALLING A/V CABLES, RCA'S!!!!!!!

A/V cables, huh? That isn't a very detailed description, now is it? That could describe MANY different items. You are wrong about one thing. They ARE called RCA cables. Anywhere you go, they are called RCA cables. I do not know how they came to be called "RCA" cables or that it is even named after the company RCA anyways, but I do know that they ARE called RCA cables.

A/V AUDIO VIDEO yup that describes them all since there all the same unless you go into S-video or dvi or component the generic term for them is A/V it even says that on there package!!!

thats funny I went and bought two 20ft one 12ft and 1 3ft packs and they all said A/V on them hmmmmmmm

Yeah I see that..RCA,,AVs...but I rather prefers to identify them as RCAs except when the colour is yellow its for the video. when its red and white..its for the audio.......

went out to try and find where RCA came from turns out the end plugs are called RCA's but the actual cables are called A/V's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back