Modem Sharing

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
I have three independent computers, all with 56k modems at the moment. However, following my Campaign, ADSL is coming to this area soon. What I would like to do is keep the computers independent, but allow them to share the ADSL modem. Is this possible?

I'm not sure what you mean by indepandant, but I suggest you do this (as independant as possible).

1. Get a router (NAT/SOHO router / broadband firewall and so on).
2. Network the computers. Either by cable (CAT5) or wireless.
3. Plug it all in:
Code:
  DSL
   |
 Router
 / | \
Computers
4. Go surfin'. :)

I see what you mean Zedric, but I think he means as I have at the moment - My computer + 2 from my daughters in their own bedrooms (total 3). All are modem enabled BUT are independantly plugged in as and when required to go on line.

When Preston go live with broadband, I would like to be able to keep them seperate, and not networked - so is it possible to have a seperate modem for each comp (I have my reasons) and just plug in when required?

Yeah I was sorta guessing that to, three DSL modems total. I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Unless you get three subscriptions which 1. is just silly and 2. probably won't work anyway. Go with the netowork, wireless if you don't want to run cables.

Thanks for the replies. Are Ethernet Cards the same as Network Cards.
Also is there any chance that a USB modem could be connected to the phone socket, then to a USB hub, and then from the hub to the computers? I know that this would mean the hub being used differently to what they are usually, but I just wondered.

Originally posted by Capricorn
Thanks for the replies. Are Ethernet Cards the same as Network Cards.
Yes.

Also is there any chance that a USB modem could be connected to the phone socket, then to a USB hub, and then from the hub to the computers? I know that this would mean the hub being used differently to what they are usually, but I just wondered.
No. A USB hub can not be used as a network hub.

If you network you will need more than a hub! Such as a router or a computer sharing the connection (acting as router).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back