modem problems....please help me

R

ronenph1

Hi there,

I'm running two OSs. XP and 98SE. I have a "Generic Soft56k modem". I have been running XP for a month, and suddenly, when I'm trying to enter to the "network connections" section, or the "connect to" option, the computer gets stuck. The only option in this case is to restart. After the problem started, the computer was getting stucked everytime I tried to go the "connect to" option.
I tried some ways, but suddenly XP deleted the option of "connect to".
And I can't try to fix it by going to system settings from "my computer" and etc.
The only option I had, was to reinstall windows xp. I reinstalled, and the problem started again. My Windows XP is crushed now, and I can't use it.
I know if i reinstall again, the same problem probably will come again.
You have to help me my friends. I don't think the problem is in the modem, becuase he works fine under Windows 98. But, maybe it (the modem) isnt compatible with windows xp? But it had been working fine before it started to make the system being stucked. Please, help me.

- Ronen.

What is the name of your modem. Model/Manufacterer all that stuff. Is it just Generic Soft56K Modem?? If you are unsure about the modem manufacturer you can look in your device manager to see how its labeled under Windows 98SE. Or even better go to this site http://modemsite.com/56k/whomadeit.asp , follow the instructions and see if you can ID your modem. FCC codes are required on all modems but only in the US. Hopefully they put it on the international modems as well.

You might be having a XP driver issue with the modem. Try finding the right drivers for the device. Even if Windows XP loads a driver for you it does not "always" mean its the right one.

Here is a good write up on troubleshooting WinXP Modem problems. http://modemsite.com/56k/xp.asp

Good luck

problem has been fixed

guys, thanks for the help.
i tried another modem with my windows xp, and it works fine.
im using right now motorola sm56 wih win2k drivers.
looks like it works properly.
thanx anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back