modem drops connection everytime HELP!!

D

deadly_dave

PLEASE can someone help me i am on 56k modem everything is fine untill i connect to a multyplayer game and my connection will drop everytime!! its getting really annoying now coz my connection is fine with everything else i.e web browsing,downloading ect....

just everytime i send information my modem clicks and my connection is gone no warning at all.

Please help as all i use the internet for is online gaming! i can't even use teamspeak coz the same happens.

Thanks
Dave

p.s Don't say get broadband its not in my area im to far out from the exchange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first and foremost... are you running the latest drivers for your modem??

are there programs (other than the game, running in the background) ie firewall, AIM, ICQ, MSN etc...

Did you install anything prior to this happening, like hardware or software??

need to supply more info.

yes i am useing the lastest drivers

and no there is nothing running in the backround that i know off i have to close everything down msn firewall norton ect to get the most out of 56k

cheers for the reply

Dave.

which modem is it? have you tried entering init strings? (damn, it has been a long time since I saw a 56k modem problem here :) )

the modem is intel(R) 536ep v.92
no i haven't tried entering init strings coz i donn't know what they are or do?

i have just changed the drivers but with no luck still have the same problems.

dave..

What's a modem initialization string?
Before your modem software dials a phone number, it initializes (inits) the modem by sending it a series (string) of commands, typically Hayes commands. These commands configure the modem's options for things like error correction, data compression, flow control, and many other parameters. The modem manual should list the Hayes commands the modem recognizes, and what effect each command has.

The important thing about modem init strings is that having the right one often makes the difference between connecting and not. Init strings are fairly specific to each modem. The string that made your friend's modem fly may not work at all for your modem.

Not all programs use simple init strings. Some use settings files, such as Windows 95 .inf files, Mac CCL modem scripts, etc.

What should I do if my modem does not connect or frequently drops the line?

Please try updating your modem driver. Also, you may need to upgrade your firmware for V.90 or V.92 speeds through your modem manufacturer.

Init strings for your modem found on http://www.intel.com/design/modems/support/faq.htm#11
Controller-based: AT &F E0 V1 W2 &D2 &C1 S0=0-C1

Alternate Controller-based: AT&F &C1 &D2 H0 %C0 W2

PCI-Based: AT&F E0 Q0 X4 S0=0 &D2 &C1 &S0 V1 W2

try to disable V.90 and enable V.34
To disable V.90 and enable V.34 try the following commands in your init string.
AT+MS=V34,1,0,0
AT+MS=V34,1,300,28800

More inits here: http://www.west.net/~jay/modem/

To enter an init string go to:

control panel -> phone and modem options -> tabpage modems -> click on your modem and click on 'properties' -> go to tabpage Advanced and enter init there.

You can query your modem on page Diagnostics to see if it responds correctly.

Hope this helps.

Greetz

Lukas

cheers for your reply tryed all that with no luck i think my modem is nackerd but i cant see why im only having this problem when sending info but nevermind cheers for all your help!

thanks
Dave..

now with all that done I am suspecting the game itself might be the problem. Since you can surf, email and what not... problem only seems to rear its ugly head when firing up the game... what game is it??

Could be the game, could be the gaming site (MS Zone is quirky as hell, so are Sierra servers).

But sadly, it is most likely the guy hosting the game kicking you for low ping. There are a lot of ping biggots out there. Mainly all of those with broadband...

it is not just one game its every game i have and all so voice programs like teamspeak or rogerwilco i am really lost with this problem now ill get a new modem tonight and see what happens

cheers
Dave..

Ok, voice chat rules out people booting you for low ping.

If the new modem doesn't help and you are using a small local ISP try a call to their support to make sure there isn't a problem in how they handle packets. One of the local ISP's around here did not support gaming because of the way they handled data packets.

If it's not too ugly try signing up for one of the free ISPs, or a 30 day free trial on a pay one ;-) and see if you can stay connected.

Check with your local phone company too. Sometimes in rural areas or crowded areas they play games with multiplexing multiple customers off of one line.

Same comment if you are in an apartment complex. Sometimes the apartments are actually set up as mini phone exchanges. They skim some extra profit off the service.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back