modem detection

microair

OSNN Junior Addict
hi guyz ...

i have a strange problem with winXP .. i recently upgraded from 98 ... when i installed my modem "Coxeant 56 k serial" ... it doesn't detect it if i boot my machine with modem switched off ... if i switch it on before booting it works ...

how do i resolve this?

Also, i am having alot pc hangs whenver i try to restart or shutdown XP ... ?

please help thanks a lot ...

Welcome to the forums microair. :)

First thing is to check whether your moden is xp compatable. Have a look at the microsoft site for the compatability list for xp. Look here
As for the system hanging did you do a clean install upgrade or just upgrade over '98? At what screen does it hang?

thanks for a quick reply ...

my modem is working fine with XP ... but doesn't detect it if i boot XP with the modem switched off ...

My modem name as appearing in my Modem settings is:
"Conexant RC56D2 Serial PnP Modem"

I used the Win2000 drives on the CD of the modem ... as i could't find XP drivers for it ...

for the hang thing, I installed XP with 98 ... (meaning 98 is still) ...

Actually XP doesn't hang it does nothing when i press the "turnoff" or "restart" button ... and then if i click explorer or something it says windows is shutting down so can't open ... but windows never shuts down ... it just stays like that ...

Just leave the modem on then? I know some modems need to be on when the computer boots for Windows to detect them.

well i tried a lot things in there ... no luck :(

for the modem thing it works fine in 98 ... why not in XP?
does it work that way?

For newer systems; I some older model modems need to be turned on; in order to be recongized with the system and boot and advance into Windows. I don't think its a really big deal; and that is just the way the modem is :)

guyz the shutdown thing seems to be working now ... how ?
dunno ... :)

i have another modem GVC 33.6 ... Model# VF-1133V/R6

i am looking for the XP drivers can someone help me find it... i tried the Standard Modem thing but didn't work ...

please help ..

Doesn't look like it is xp compatable. Here. Do a search for GVC 33.6.

You might get lucky seaching sites that provide drivers.

I tried the url you sent:

i searched for GVC Modem got no result :(

When i boot windows with my modem on it detects it perfectly and installs itself ... but when i try to dial it doesn't dials ... and doesn't give any error either...

I tried to Query Modem under diagnotics then it gave me an eror that modem not repsonding ...

Also when i reboot the machine tit doesn't detect it then ....

I have Win98 also in the machine this modem works perfectly fine there ...

It's not your modem's fault. It's how Win XP (the entire NT series for that matter) works.

With Win 9X, it refreshes all the ports every now and then to see if anything new has been plugged in. This of course is highly inefficient and frankly, in this day and age, how often do you plug in a diff device (serial port i mean) while your comps still on. That's why USB is so popular =)

There is no way around it. For your modem to work, it has to be on while Win XP boots up. It detects your devices on boot up and then locks the serial ports. To my knowledge there is no way to force windows to look at the ports again but i could be mistaken.

What this does is that it removes a possible cause for crashes and also makes your computer run better rather than checking the serial ports every now and then.

There is no way around it. For your modem to work, it has to be on while Win XP boots up. It detects your devices on boot up and then locks the serial ports. To my knowledge there is no way to force windows to look at the ports again but i could be mistaken.

um you can just go to control panel,Phone Modem Options, Modems . Then just press add. Presto Windows Auto loads drivers again. Saves a reboot.

i guess i confused the things ...

I have 2 Modems

1) 33.6k
2) 56.6k

1) Doesn't get recog. by XP but works fine in 98 ...
2) Works in XP/98 but dials the numbers very slow ... like 1 number every 3 seconds ... how do speed it up ... and doesn't get recog without being switched on @ bootup ...

well the boot thing is ok but it ails really slow .... it just started happening few days back ... i tried changing the cable also ... nothing worked ...

It's happened since WinNT like mentioned above..I keep my modem switched on at all times in case I forget to switch it on before XP boots..

However, If you forget to switch it on before bootup, you dont need to restart, just go to 'Device Manager', and click the button to 'Scan for hardware changes' (see image, attached) this will pick up the modem and will enable it in device manager..

Hope this is of help

Daedalus

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back