Modem Compression vs. Software Compression

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hello,
Which is more better for an average 56k modem, for a speed freak like me (who, by the way, can't afford cable)... Modem (hardware) compression, or software? Or none?

Modem, Hardware is better because sofware uses system pocessing to work, which slows down overall performance whereas hardware is done by the modem and therefore shouldn't effect performance

I use zippo compression altogether.....ie nada, zip, zilch and zero.

no hardware or software compession.

using XP home and the data rate has increased dramatically by doing this

I have hardware compression turned on, but according to the status thing there is no compression being used.

Modem

Nokia 6210e (UK Orange Network)

Speed

Recieving Speed up to 28.8 kbps
Sending Speed up to 28.8 kbps / 9.6 kbps

Nokia 6210 used HSCSD (High Speed Ciruit Switched Data) this means it uses more than 1 Cell Block for data transmission provided there are enough spare blocks free.

gtgarside, I noticed the same thing with my Diamond Supra Express 56k Pro v cc PCI hardware modem. the staus always said compression none.

So I turned off both software & hardware compression, modem properties, and dialup properties.

I have now noticed a slight speed increase.

I'm waiting till august, my local cable company is supposedly rolling out broadband then. Although last time I phoned them, they said April :rolleyes: and nothing happened!!

By the f***ing time I get it, another faster system will come out, knowing my luck :(!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back