mobos with raid? few questions here

T

Tbird94sc

on motherboards with raid built in liek the asus a7v333 and the epox Epox 8K3A+, they include onboard raid controllers. my question is, can these raid controllers be used as normal ide ports so i wouldnt haveto use my pci ata card, or can they only be used in a raid configuration.

thanks in advance

Ron

You mean like having 4 ide channels...that would be pretty cool.

I dont have any idea but i was wondering that same thing.

Yes, usually you can. My Soyo Dragon+ with onboard Promise RAID functions as a standard ATA/100 controller. You just flip a jumper to swtich from RAID Array mode to ATA/100 Mode (on mine)

JJB

The raid on my Abit KR7A can be used as standard IDE, so I would guess that the Asus would as well.

yes, I had one of the first boards to have onboard raid features, very nice, even when not using it. I had 4 HD's, a DVD and CD-RW drive, very nice to be able to have some many devices without any controllers.

on some boards, the raid controllers are one mode faster than the onboard controllers. my Abit KT7-RAID has onboard support for ata66 but it's built-in raid is ata100 so all my harddrives are on the raid. i have no arrays set up. same goes with my friend's Abit KR7A-RAID... he has his only hd on his raid cuz it's ata133 while his board is ata100.

i wouldn't really consider any board without raid since the raid option is so cheap (extra $5-$10) and it's so common to have more than 4 devices anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back