• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

mobos with raid? few questions here

T

Tbird94sc

on motherboards with raid built in liek the asus a7v333 and the epox Epox 8K3A+, they include onboard raid controllers. my question is, can these raid controllers be used as normal ide ports so i wouldnt haveto use my pci ata card, or can they only be used in a raid configuration.

thanks in advance

Ron

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
Yes, usually you can. My Soyo Dragon+ with onboard Promise RAID functions as a standard ATA/100 controller. You just flip a jumper to swtich from RAID Array mode to ATA/100 Mode (on mine)

JJB

W

wahoo24jc

The raid on my Abit KR7A can be used as standard IDE, so I would guess that the Asus would as well.

blinden

OSNN Senior Addict
yes, I had one of the first boards to have onboard raid features, very nice, even when not using it. I had 4 HD's, a DVD and CD-RW drive, very nice to be able to have some many devices without any controllers.

Taurus

hardware monkey
on some boards, the raid controllers are one mode faster than the onboard controllers. my Abit KT7-RAID has onboard support for ata66 but it's built-in raid is ata100 so all my harddrives are on the raid. i have no arrays set up. same goes with my friend's Abit KR7A-RAID... he has his only hd on his raid cuz it's ata133 while his board is ata100.

i wouldn't really consider any board without raid since the raid option is so cheap (extra $5-$10) and it's so common to have more than 4 devices anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies