mobo wont start? eeks?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
a friend of mine was vacumming the dust from the computer insides and it suddenly wont start. what i mean is that the computer does have power, has lights but it wont go to post or wont even give a signal on the monitor. Actually the lights keep staying on e.g. the HDD is running, cdrom is reading..but the catch is...ALL of the lights are on at the same time and stay that way. What is wrong with the computer you think? i think the motherboard is dead. Well first i thought it was the power supply but then we went out and bought a new one already and it still the same.

mobo is K7T TUrbo2 with a 2400+. Is it dead?

Have you checked that all the jumpers are in place ie. not inside the hoover? Also make sure that the cmos battery hasn't been disloged, nor the bios chip itself as this is quite often simply pushed into place.

i always thought compressed air was much better to use than a vacuum cleaner. just take it outside and knock youself out. also, all your jumpers will stay in place.

haha, Straylight... reading that post kinda made me laugh a bit at first. but ya, you should make sure that none of the jumpers took the ride with the dust. though.... jumpers usually have quite the strong hold on the pins, and it's not like there's much there for a vacuum to get enough suction on to pull it off, though i could be wrong. oh the reasons i love new motherboards. jumperlessness of the CMOS

Only an idiot would use a vacuum cleaner to clean their (or someone elses) motherboard.

Well I don't really think that calling someone an idiot is needed (Lee), but it is generally ill-advisable to use a vacuum to clean your PC not only because you can suck jumpers off the static buildup on the vacuum attachments can be devestating to your PC components.

The first thing I would check would be as others have said, check for the bios jumper, some mobo's need it others don't. If you have the jumper, or your mobo doesn't require it, you will need to get the system down to bare component POST mode. Take everything out; Video, Ram, all your PCI cards, disconnect all HDD's, floppy drives, etc. Do not remove your processesor or heatsink.

Then ONLY put in the following: 1 Ram board, Video card. Reset the bios, and try to get the comp to POST. If you don't get post, then you have damaged one of those three items. If you do get POST, turn off the PC, and connect 1 HDD with the OS on it. Again, see if the PC will POST and boot. If it won't, then there is damage to the mobo or the HDD.

If the system POST's and Boot's keep turning off the PC and adding in 1 component at a time, till you either find a component that will prevent the PC from POST and boot, or till everything is installed and working again.

fantasi said:
a friend of mine was vacumming the dust from the computer insides and it suddenly wont start. what i mean is that the computer does have power, has lights but it wont go to post or wont even give a signal on the monitor. Actually the lights keep staying on e.g. the HDD is running, cdrom is reading..but the catch is...ALL of the lights are on at the same time and stay that way. What is wrong with the computer you think? i think the motherboard is dead. Well first i thought it was the power supply but then we went out and bought a new one already and it still the same.

mobo is K7T TUrbo2 with a 2400+. Is it dead?

HDD running? CDROM working, I take it you don't get any sound out of it e.g the startup tune. Perhaps it's a video card issue?

emm i doubt that its a video card issue. Will go over tmmorow again. Reason i say i doubt vid card is because when i put in vid card, the normal boot sound doesnt even come up. aka 1 beep when u start up. will update u guys tommorow. check if it is really that cmos pin.

Battery is it still there? Did it get VACUUMED up and hit th edust bag? Battery could be loose!

ok new update...jumper on cmos still there and battery is still intact. hdd and cdrom is working but the light just stays on. I can open and close but thats bout it. Im just waiting for the computer to go beep once. no luck. gonna try put another harddrive tommorow.

Lee said:
sounds like someone has tried it...

might want to make sure all the card are seated correctly and not loose. Also check the ram to make sure it didnt become loose.

yank everything cept chip, heatsink, ram and viddy card, reseat viddy card and ram as well. reset the bios with the jumper and try to get a cmos screen.

disconnet all devices not needed... ie hdd's and what not...

turn off computer...

only have psu/mobo/cpu and video card connected... remove all else...

once you have done this... clear CMOS and then turn computer on and report what you see... it SHOULD post...

if it is not posting you have a problem somewhere...

keep in mind when vacuuming it is possible to create static and that may cause an issue... however with today's boards you really need a fair deal of static build-up to cause damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric169
Well I don't really think that calling someone an idiot is needed (Lee)

Lee said:
I fail to see how your comment was in anyway helpful in resolving the problem. Name calling is the end result of lack of intelligence. Something to think about Lee.

ok guys... lets help the thread-starter resolve his problem first shall we :cool:

maybe i missed it or maybe u have done so but did u try leavin the battery out for a few min and then tryin to out it back in? I had pretty much the same problem that u had and all i did was take the battery out,wait a few min,put it back in and bam it worked :p

PseudoKiller said:
sounds like someone has tried it...
I use compressed air, I don't touch vacuum cleaners that's the Womans job in my house.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back