• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MoBo/RAM Question

Is it going to hurt anything if I put a stick of DDR PC400 RAM into my MoBo, that is only rated for PC2100. I know it wont peform at 400mhz, but I wanna know if it's going to screw something up?

BTW the other stick in there is DDR PC266

Android412

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
might not get recognised - RAM sticks usually need to match up.

probably won't fry anything, but I do not think there's much point in it if it isn;t going to work anyway.

Of course if anyone knows better than me I am sure they will post (wouldn't be the first time!)

Peter

OSNN Junior Addict
if its a decent stick it should be recognised all ok, make sure to put it in Dimm slot 1 as being newer and faster memory may cause problems if its in Dimm slot 2.

L

Lee

How about changing the ram frequency in bios so that both match the lower frequency and see if that works.

just go swap/sell the stick of ram for a stick of the correct frequency. I wouldnt want to risk saying to you anything... however i do know that my old pc mb was only rated for pc266 and i used pc333 for a couple of weeks... but i wouldnt recomend it

Will it make a difference if the bored is rated for 2.5v, and the new RAM is 2.6v. Doubt it, but I wanna be sure before I put this thing in there.

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
It should still work, even with a voltage difference of .1v. .1v is not enough to cause it not too work. Average threshold variance is .3v I belive. Worse case it won't work or refuse to see the RAM board. Won't hurt anything either way.

Well it seems to be working fine. Windows rocognizes it as a gig of RAM, and my bios saw them both as DDR PC266's right from the first boot. Didn't change a thing. Thanks Everyone.

Android412

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies