Mobo question

S

silky62678

when a mobo say it can handle up to amd 2000+, does it mean it can handle up to the 2000+ speed? What if i have a 2400+ and underclock it to 2000+ speed, should it work, or is this a trial and error issue?

Which board are you attempting to use?? if it's supports a 2000+ it should support the 2400+ (they use the same FSB)

if the mobo was rated as 2000+ it normally means at the time that was the fastest chip out for that board, as soon as faster chips come out at the same FSB, the mobo maker issues a bios update to read the new and faster chips, but from experience, doing this makes the board run very bloody hot as its at its upper limits. a friend has upgraded bios on 2 boards to take a faster chip than originaly designed, and had lots of issues/ crash's through it, after upgrading to a board designed to run that chip and beyond, the probelms go away again.

It's not for my mobo, a friend, i think she has a MSI, not sure what model.

Originally posted by GoNz0
if the mobo was rated as 2000+ it normally means at the time that was the fastest chip out for that board, as soon as faster chips come out at the same FSB, the mobo maker issues a bios update to read the new and faster chips, but from experience, doing this makes the board run very bloody hot as its at its upper limits. a friend has upgraded bios on 2 boards to take a faster chip than originaly designed, and had lots of issues/ crash's through it, after upgrading to a board designed to run that chip and beyond, the probelms go away again.
this doesn't really make sense because going from, say, a 2000+ to a 2600+ would not put any strain on the motherboard. i will still have the same fsb but only the multiplier will go up. any heat problems would be from the new processor which would be running just as hot as it would on any other board.

actually, it's hard to find 2600+ with the 266 FSB, most of the 2600+ I've come across have the 333 FSB...

Originally posted by Goatman
actually, it's hard to find 2600+ with the 266 FSB, most of the 2600+ I've come across have the 333 FSB...
heh, i'm still living in the past. i'll have to start using the 2400+ in my examples from now on.

Hi m8

My suggestion is to contact MSI and ask them how fast a cpu the m/b can take. Reason being, that just because it says + doesn't mean that it can take a 2.4. My last m/b (1.6) said +, but that was only max 2.0. That particular cpu is hard to get hold of. As I allways say better safe than sorry, allways get the info from the horses mouth.

ejm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back