mobo plug question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey All,

I got this mobo, Asus Striker II, it has the normal 24 pin powersupply plug, but the other 4 pin now has 8pin female connector, but 4 pins are covered.

I am wondering if I should yank the cover and plug in all the eight pins from the power supply?

The power supply has two sets of yellow 4pins braided together.

The instruction manual is not difintive saying use either/or.

I am using a Q6600 quad core CPU.

Thanks,

Heeter

If it is near the PCI-e slots it sounds like the new dual video card connector. It is required by some video cards if you are running SLI or Crossfire.

If it's near the CPU it could be for extra CPU power for quad cores.

Power connector standards are going nuts. Every MB seems to be a different.

Read the MB manual carefully and do what it says for your board and set up.

That is the 12 volt connector.

The eight pin power connector has four +12V connections and four ground connections. It is keyed so that a four pin "P4" connector can be connected to four of the eight pins.

Four pins are covered as not all people have the new eight pin connectors on their power supply. If you have the eight pin on your PSU then remove the cover on the slot and use all eight.

That is the 12 volt connector.

The eight pin power connector has four +12V connections and four ground connections. It is keyed so that a four pin "P4" connector can be connected to four of the eight pins.

Four pins are covered as not all people have the new eight pin connectors on their power supply. If you have the eight pin on your PSU then remove the cover on the slot and use all eight.

Thank You for your response, AZ.

Will remove the cover and install the dual 4 pin connector.

Thanks,

Heeter

heh didn't realise it was for the quad cores, I just plugged both 4 pins into the socket since that's what was implied by the socket and the two plugs on the psu :)

Its an extension to the ATX standard to cover power pig CPU's (a similar one is for dual video card rigs). All the high power stuff is using 12V instead of the 5V because you can deliver more power for a given wire size. The extra power connectors near the CPU are for the on board regulator that makes the ~1.3V the CPUs need. The ones near the 16x PCI-e slots beef up power to the video cards.

With the more power efficient CPUs and Video cards coming out starting last year the extra power pins may end up a passing fad. We can hope. Between video, MB and fan power connections my PC looks like an octopus on steroids. So much for SATA cleaning up internal wire clutter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back