mobo + cpu ~ $200

dubstar

format c:
im not looking for most of your standards, im using a 550mhz Athlon K7 right now with 351ram... so anything on the market is pretty much faster.

im wondering if my choice is a good one..

AMD Athlon XP2100+ Thoroughbred Tray with
MSI KT4VL Mainboard for about 189.99
* #3541764 @ outpost.com *

most of you guys diss the Athlon XPs and favor the P4s greatly.[please dont flame up my thread] I dont really know the difference, I just want to have a faster computer than the one i have with a window on the case and some colored lights shining out of it.

something i can multitask on, using a few programs at the same time and it can keep up with me. so let me know if i should go P4, or 2100+ thanks.

Originally posted by dubstar
most of you guys diss the Athlon XPs and favor the P4s greatly.[please dont flame up my thread] I dont really know the difference, I just want to have a faster computer than the one i have with a window on the case and some colored lights shining out of it.

something i can multitask on, using a few programs at the same time and it can keep up with me. so let me know if i should go P4, or 2100+ thanks.

Heh, i think you'll find that p4 supporters are a fair bit outnumbered by amd supporters. I think both chips are great but I just bought a p4 so i guess that makes me a p4 supporter :)

If you are looking for value for money the 2100+ chip is a nice deal.
If I were you though, i'd go for (prices from newegg)
Athlon XP 2100+ $87
Epox 8RDA+ $112

Which is US$199 and the epox board is no poor performer, and has lots of features. Or you could go for the vanilla 8RDA for $88

doesnt newegg not let you return stuff though? what if its DOA?

i just checked price grabber and A2zcomp.com has it for 112 including shipping.

---add edit: nevermind, a2zcomp.com steals peoples stuff, so says the remarks from buyers.

doesnt newegg not let you return stuff though? what if its DOA?

From the newegg site
All items except otherwise mentioned, may be returned within 30 days from the original invoice date for a refund. CPU and memory products must be returned within 7 days from the invoice date for a refund.
and take a look at the link up the top of their page "RMA Request".

ok i changed my mind to a

Athlon XP 2100+
Epox 8RDA

now, do i want

2100+ Thoroughbred (revision B)
2100+ Palomino
2100+ Thoroughbred Retail (heatsink & fan)

word on the street is that the Retail heatsink and fan cant be beat.. is this true?

He he, the word on the street... What street do you live in? ;)
Check out swiftech, thermaltake, thermalright.
Check out the thermalright SLK-800 if you're looking for something in the top end of cooling. Or volcano 9 for something a bit cheaper.

The palomino has a default voltage of 1.75V and the t'bred is 1.6V. Therefore the t'breds run a lot cooler and have more overclocking headroom (if you're into that :) )
I recommend the t'bred.

(im just going to be rude and take advantage that your here.. more questions!)

so the SLK800 or SLK900 will keep my 2100+ nice and cool? what if i decide to overclock to 2ghz? will it be ok?

would the SK6+ be ok to overclock to Ghz with the right fan?

From what I've read, you have to use the bolt holes to mount the SLK900 due to its size/weight, which involves removing the mobo.

The SLK800 still uses the clips. It still does a good job though. :)

I'm running a 2000+ Palomino @ 1725MHz and get full load temps of 38°C.

(im just going to be rude and take advantage that your here.. more questions!)

so the SLK800 or SLK900 will keep my 2100+ nice and cool? what if i decide to overclock to 2ghz? will it be ok?

would the SK6+ be ok to overclock to Ghz with the right fan?

Heh, no problems. Yes the slk900 would be even better, but either would keep the chip nice and cool. It depends on the chip that you get but I don't see any problems getting that chip to 2ghz. The SK6 is another nice cooler which should be more than good enough to make it to 2ghz.

has anybody ever put 2 fans ontop of eachother to increase cpu cooling?:D

can i use any 80mm fan or is there a special heatsink style one?

has anybody ever put 2 fans ontop of eachother to increase cpu cooling?:D
Many have tryed and failed in their missions :D generally it doesn't work too well.

can i use any 80mm fan or is there a special heatsink style one?
Any 80mm fan is fine, just make sure it has a high cfm (cubic feet per minute) rating, and low noise (dBa)

whats a high enough cfm? and whats a good decible?

also, if the fan says it cools 2600+ and beyond, could i still use it with a 2700+ (aka 2100+ o/c'd to 2700+specs) or will i need more fan support anyway because over clocking creates more heat than the speed normally would on a non o/c'd computer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back