Mobility ATi

ming

OSNN Advanced
I was wondering what would be the major differences between ATi 9200 and 9700 graphics processors. From what I can see when checking out two Sony Vaio laptops, the only difference is the memory. Obviously there are other differences but not sure what they are.

Got a Mobility 9200 in my iBook, does its job fine. Would imagine the 9700 would kick it's ass in virtually any test though :)

yeah the 9700 should be better than the 9200, i have a mobile 9000 here with 128mb dedicated memory :eek: :D

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Mobility 9700 will come no-where near to the performance of a desktop 9700 GPU.

Heny, 128mb on a 9000Mobility?! Crazeh :D

i know :eek: i have the ram free due to me slapping 1gig in, so i may as well let the graphics have it, even if it will never use it due to the lack of gaming on it at the moment :p

Ok... now the question is... why is the Sony Vaio with Ati9200 (32mb) more expensive than the model with 9700 (64mb)??? All other specs are like exactly the same. :p

Crap. don't have a link with the price.

Sh1t.. I think they stop selling the Vaio S1XP model.. :(
Does anyone know what's replacing it?

The 9800 Mobility, if you can wait for it, is almost exactly as fast as its desktop counterpart. The MR9700 has half the pixel pipelines, giving it similar performance to a 9600.

Henyman said:
yeah the 9700 should be better than the 9200, i have a mobile 9000 here with 128mb dedicated memory :eek: :D
Henyman said:
i know :eek: i have the ram free due to me slapping 1gig in, so i may as well let the graphics have it, even if it will never use it due to the lack of gaming on it at the moment :p
Contradictory statements? If the graphics system uses 128MB of system RAM, it wouldn't be dedicated memory now, would it? :p

Unwonted said:
The 9800 Mobility, if you can wait for it, is almost exactly as fast as its desktop counterpart. The MR9700 has half the pixel pipelines, giving it similar performance to a 9600.
The 256MB Mobility Radeon 9800 is already available.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

wink.gif

semi dedicated just like me!...sorry for the off topic post!!!

NetRyder said:
Contradictory statements? If the graphics system uses 128MB of system RAM, it wouldn't be dedicated memory now, would it? :p

I was going to quote on that, didn't even think ATI made shared memory cards.. well, not cards, chips. :confused:

SPeedY_B said:
I was going to quote on that, didn't even think ATI made shared memory cards.. well, not cards, chips. :confused:
They do. I'm quite sure Henry has a Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP rather than a regular Mobility Radeon 9000. He just forgot to mention that last part. :D

I have the mobility 9700 in my notebook and i highly reccomend it. I would try to go with a 128 meg version though.

i dunno about the 32mb mobility radeon 9200, but the 32mb mobility radeon 9000 was only 64-bit compared to the 64mb version being 128-bit. This made it significantly worse in all 3d-based programs (4500 in 3dmark2001 compared to 7000 for the 64mb). Ive got a 9200 64mb in my laptop, and it can run most games pretty well, doom3 is a bit laggy but farcry runs well.

If you can u should go for the 9700. it would have roughly the performance of a desktop 9600 pro.

Basically, you will find that the 9700 64mb is roughly 2x as fast as the 9200 32mb.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back