MMX Mercury SP1 shell32.dll for Download!

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
WinXP SP1 MMX shell32.dll

An MMX modified shell32.dll for WinXP ***SP1 INSTALLED***

This shell32.dll is NOT heavily modified, I have merely replaced the toolbars, and most of the default icons (folders, drives, etc) which cannot be replaced by any other method (short of using a third party application, of course) ... If you have any questions about replacing other icons, or modifiying your own shell32.dll, please visit the forums at www.xp-erience.org or www.neowin.net for further assistance.

Enjoy!

mavis

The MMX icons used in this shell32.dll are Copyright 2002 by Mikkel Madsen.
Please see www.mmicons.com (hosted by deviantart.com) for details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the modification has been done by Mavis, I am only hosting it.. so all credit goes to him ;) An installation guide is also included.

Screenshots

]Screen 1

]Screen 2

>>>Download<<<

>>>Download for Pre-SP1<<<

Excellent job Mavis. That stuff looks really neat!

And thanks for hosting the files too, o_87 :)

that's super hot. *ponders a shell32.dll for madmatt_dtop*

c'mon guys.. no one else like this? :p Perhaps its the larger screenshots? Well I'll convert them to links..

c'mon guys.. no one else like this? :p Perhaps its the large screenshots? Well I'll convert them to links..

good call. who wants to design a set of madmatt icons? we can call them madmatt_icons v1. HEH!

anyway, super job.

I think this is pretty cool, you've done a great job! But here is my one thing with mmx icons. I remember when they first came out and I couldn't wait to get them I installed them and began trying to convert everything over. After a while I realized something....I have a COLOR monitor...why am I trying to make everything black and white or grey. Too bad we couldn't colorize mmx icons..that would be cool....

Looks cool. There is a tutorial around that shows you how to do that stuff? I'd like to have the same thing with Brights by Marvilla or FauxS Onyx or Universal by Mormegil.

Originally posted by Darkwolven1
Looks cool. There is a tutorial around that shows you how to do that stuff? I'd like to have the same thing with Brights by Marvilla or FauxS Onyx or Universal by Mormegil.

Actually I wrote a tutorial for this site, you can read it here: link ... :D

mavis

Originally posted by cyberphox
Too bad we couldn't colorize mmx icons..that would be cool....

If you use Photoshop (I'm sure you can do this with other programs, I just use Photoshop though) you can very easily change the color ... I'll attach a small shot of the MMX System icon for you to see ... Anyway, just select the part of the image you want to change, and press CTRL+U (or from the menu, Image|Adjustments|Hue/Saturation) - You may need to check the "Colorize" box, too ...

Anyway that is how I've gotten all of my non-MMX icons to look "MMX" - just colorize them and set Hue to about 228 or so, saturation down to 10-20 (depends on the icon) and then you may need a Brightness/Contrast adjustment to make it look perfect ... :)

mavis

Originally posted by mavis
Actually I wrote a tutorial for this site, you can read it here: link ... :D

mavis

Yeah, silly me I caught that after I posted that message. I have a bad habit of scrolling past pinned items because I usually know the forum rules. :p

I'm having some problems. I know I installed everthing correctly and most of the icons worked, but the folders and hardware icons stayed the same. Just take a look at the pic below. Anything i did wrong?

Originally posted by KonArtis
I'm having some problems. I know I installed everthing correctly and most of the icons worked, but the folders and hardware icons stayed the same. Just take a look at the pic below. Anything i did wrong?

Looks like you need to run TweakUI's Icon repair function - Open TweakUI, click Repair, and then click Repair Now (with "Rebuild Icons" in the drop box) ...

Lemme know if that takes care of it ...

mavis

unfortunatly that didnt fix it for me, when im in the change icon screen i dont see any of the changed icons, even when i select the shell32.dll.... The icons for explorer chqnge though...

Fizz,

You must replace the .dll in either two or three folders depending on whether you have SP1 installed or not. [system32 AND dll cache folders for pre-sp1, but ALSO in i386 for SP1 installations (windows>servicepackfiles>i386) for the patch to work otherwise XP will replace the patched dll with a healthy one.] The easiest way to do this is to kill explorer.exe temporarily, patch one of the copies of shell32.dll and then copy it over into the other folders as well. Make sure you keep a backup of the original. A very good tutorial is at:

http://www.amilcarguerra.com/~iceman/stuff.../background.php

i did change it in dllcache as well. like i said some of the icons work...

also, now my desktop icons looks so generic, and crasppy :(

Strange, so you don't have the original windows icons showing OR the MMX ones? The only thing I can think is that the file got corrupted some how. If you replace it correctly, reboot, and rebuild the cache, there should be no problem. Maybe try it again with a fresh file in safe mode...

I'd say do replace it using the safe mode method. It is alot easier. Plus it alwasy work for me.. and no need to flush the dllcache.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back