MMORPG v Standard RPG?

cpohara

OSNN Junior Addict
Anyone else totally still prefer standard RPGs?

With all that goes on in MMORPGs, including real people and the intrinsicly low priority storylines, I get taken out of the experience very quickly.

I still prefer the immersion of a standard RPG.

I mentioned this in a post about Oblivion a while back, and it's a good question. Basically, it boils down to two factors for me:

1) Standard, non-multiplayer RPGs are very lonely places compared to MMORPGs!

2) Generally, you can only make massive world changing events in standard RPGs, which kinda limits MMORPGs.

So they're both cool in their own ways really, sometimes I want to play one type, sometimes the other.

Nice topic anyway!

Good thread, it really depends on your style. Both types have their pro's and con's. MMO's generally cost money each month (the good ones do at least) and its usually way to much. On WoW, most of the people that play lack the maturity for them to be fun to play with. There really is no story in MMO's either, not compared to a good RPG. (Morrowind, Fallout, Oblivion, NWN... etc)

You just need to decide what is more important, socializing with mostly retards for a fee or playing a game that has a strong story and usually modding capabilities. Of course I am generalizing, but oh well. :)

I use to love playing RPG's but I always became bored or distracted before I can complete them. I've since started playing MMORPG's for some time now and they rarely ever get boring ... and I'm almsot always distracted, but IN GAME. There is so much to do, see, explore. I don't think regular RPG's can really compete w/ MMORPG's anymore IMHO.

Yeah if MMORPGs didnt have monthly fees id probably check them out more.

When I beta tested Ultima Online back in the late 90s it was some of the most fun I've had playing a game.

I guess I'm just more into exploration, plot, battle and inventory strategies these days...

But yeah the immaturity of some of the things that go on in MMORPGs are a turn off. Plus like I said i want to be immersed, not just start mastering game mechanics and accumulating wealth. Plus I really don't feel like being competitive when I game, I want a release and an immersive experience.

Playing Baldur's Gate multiplayer back in the day was great though...

Bioware are working on a number of CRPGs for the pc and Obsidian Entertainment is about a month away from releasing Neverwinter Nights 2.

I believe if you pre-order the toolset you get that next week.

But the Single player RPG and MMORPG target different markets. The problem is publishers don't want to take a risk on single player RPGS when there is guaranteed money in FPS clones, RTS clones and console games.

Single Player RPGs are a fairly small market by comparisson.

MMORPGs need monthly fees to pay for the staff, servers and bandwidth. NCSoft can give Guildwars out free because they make massive profit off of their other MMO's :)

I'd definetly agree in saying that they are equal, both have their pros and cons but in the end both are awsome genres that top my list. However as you can see from my xfire profile, I'm big on WoW at the moment, but open to any good RPGs or MMORPGs coming out (looking at you huxley :) )

Lord, do you work for NCSoft or something?

I just realized i addressed you as Lord, clever nickname in that sense...heh

No. I'm a support tech for a datacentre in London. But I play City of Villains :)

The MMORPG is addictive in that others can join you in enjoying your victories, defeats, and nice loot. The RPG allows the world to change around you in reaction to what you do.

I say I love both equally (although I've given up MMORPGs for life, except for Guild Wars because it's short).

Oh I've just realised you only joined us yesterday! Welcome to OSNN! :)

Yeah if MMORPGs didnt have monthly fees id probably check them out more.

When I beta tested Ultima Online back in the late 90s it was some of the most fun I've had playing a game.

I guess I'm just more into exploration, plot, battle and inventory strategies these days...

But yeah the immaturity of some of the things that go on in MMORPGs are a turn off. Plus like I said i want to be immersed, not just start mastering game mechanics and accumulating wealth. Plus I really don't feel like being competitive when I game, I want a release and an immersive experience.

Playing Baldur's Gate multiplayer back in the day was great though...

MMORPGs need monthly fees to pay for the staff,
servers and bandwidth. NCSoft can give Guildwars out free because they make massive profit off of their other MMO's :)

I agree with everything but this quote, why do you think SOE waited so long to make additions to Everquest?

Because they were making hand over fist with the monthly charges alone, so HELL, why even bother making an add-on?

I would think a better way of making their money would be to charge more on the initial cost of the game...

Or at the very least, allow the people to choose the type of game mechanics they want... and base the cost on that...

They do NOT need monthly charges to improve the game play unless there are soo many people (like when WoW first came out) that they can not improve the gameplay anyfurther without adding extra realms etc...

if Game companies don't need money, I presume their developers are working for free?

I also presume you don't take a salary?

Use some common sense. Games are developed primarily to make money so that the developers can make a living and pay rent/mortage, etc.

Okay after a point you're just making profit and more than covering your expenses, but that then gives you the money to pay your existing dev team more, hire more staffers and invest in new products.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is just trying to justify why they don't play MMORPG's or MMO's overall. THere are lots of valid reasons not to play them. The excuse "they don't need to charge monthly" is just delusional.

It's a freaking business, not a charity!

Lord thats a great point, however I think that its a difference in opinion about how the business model should be run. Once they are making a profit they could reduce the monthly cost to entice new players and reward existing ones. They will still make a small profit and it will make people happy, because everyone loves to save money. But thats just one point of view on the subject, of course they have every right to make ever last penny that they can.

However, back on the MMO's vs RPG's I think the style is separating more and more. If you look at WoW its nothing like a "true RPG" in the sense that there are lots of other people just like you. There is nothing in that game that makes you truly unique, at most your avatar is slightly different and you have different armor/weapons. I realize that there are a lot of people playing at once, so being "a special little butterfly" is near impossible at that scale.

SP RPG's on the other hand tend to offer more in that department from the gates, from character creation to the class you want to play. Just look at Morrowind & Oblivion for support on that claim. Stronger stories and character development also fall into this category. And for those that base decisions based on GFX, SP RPG's tend to have better graphics and SFX. Then there is physics and environment interactivity. Basically Imho SP RPG's are WAYYY more immersive and can be a lot more fun. Unless you like dealing with the usually immature politics that plague guilds and clans in some MMO's.

Okay after a point you're just making profit and more than covering your expenses, but that then gives you the money to pay your existing dev team more, hire more staffers and invest in new products.
Indeed. I know the programmers/devs don't just sit back the whole time after game release in EQ2. There is new content all the time (free updates), bug fixing, ect. That doesn't all happen for free just because the game is released. If other games updated at the rate that MMORPG's did they would have to charge you a fee also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back