Mix and Match RAM

M

mattg1981

I just got a new GigaByte GA-8IHXP motherboard, and it came with 256mb of Muskin Brand pc1066 32ns RAM (2x128). My question is, can I go out and get some Kingston RAM or some Samsung RAM or any other brand of pc1066 32ns, or do I have to stick with Muskin RAM now?

Also, hypothetically, say I went out and got 512MB of the same type of RAM (pc1066) and it was 2x256. Do the 2x256 pieces have to go in slots 1 and 2 and the 2x128 have to go in slots 3 and 4?

Thanks!

Sure, you can mix 'brands' of ram, i think i've got 2 different ones in here some kingston others god knows what :D
Not sure about the slot arrangements tho, shouldnt think it'd matter but hopefully someone else can help you with that one :)

Another

Another thing that just came to my mind, can I mix ECC ram with non-ECC ram?

No I don't think so. If I'm right, the ECC sticks have the "notch" slightly moved compared to non-ECC.

Okay, I have another RAM question. If I allready have pc1066 can I mix in pc800 ram with it or will the combination of different types of ram not work?

ok

in your bios you have a setting for the ram and if you set it autodetect you need to put the lower speed in dimm 1 .. this will set the speed for all the dimm's ... most ram is backwards compatible ie pc133 will work as pc100 and pc100 will work as pc66 .... but pc66 will not work as pc100 so this means the slower > lower ram sticks need to be in the no1 slot if the bios is set to auto if you manully set the speed in the bios it wont matter because they will run at the set speed .. but remember the set speed must be the lower value of the ram being installed

hope this helps

Re: ok

Posted by Kermit
... if you set it autodetect you need to put the lower speed in dimm 1 .. this will set the speed for all the dimm's ... most ram is backwards compatible ie pc133 will work as pc100 and pc100 will work as pc66 ....

1) So, if you have an pc800 in the first slot, according to your quote, that will set the speed for all the dimms. So all the dimms are set at 800, then the two 1066's in slots 3 and 4 will only work as a pc800?

2) But if I set it up manually, it doesnt matter which one is in what slot and if I have 1066 and 800 cause I can just say dimm1 = XXX dimm2 = XXX etc. and they will all work at their optimal speed?

your first answer is right

as for the second no ... you will need to set the bios at the lower level and all the slots will run at the lower level .. its best to leave it auto and place the slower ram in the no1 slot then the others have to follow .. its not to hard to figure the high speed ram can handle the higher mhz but the lower speed cannot .... so if you tried to pump 1066 into the 800 your going to have problems.....

so again place the 800's (in your case) in the board first make SURE that it is IN the no1 slot and after that all your ram will follow what is in the no1 slot

just get more 1600
if u get 800 then the 1600 is a waste because it will run as 800 n no point in it..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back