Missing SPace

M

Mr. Sushi

when i started with my comp i only had 76 gigs that is displayed from my 80 gig HD. i just guessed that XP was taking up those 4 gigs. than i had to reinstall XP to fix problems and found out that i only have 74 gigs? where did those 2 gigs go? ahh

btw the amount of gigs i had left was the maximum amount i could have.

That sounds about right!!

I have a 40gig drive but can only use 38

regarding the first format, you said you had 76 gbs showing out of 80? that is correct. i have the same thing as you.

regarding the extra 2 gbs your missing? maybe you made another partition without knowing. the easiest way to check is to use a bootdisk and boot into dos. use the fdisk utility and it'll show you what partitions you currently have.

if your drive is ntfs, you'll have to look under non-dos partitions.

There are several errors ( this type ) that can be removed with norton disk doctor used frequently ..

wait i dont udnerstand, are you saying this error occurs frequently and i can fix it with norton disk doctor?

Yes , you haven't knew allready that ?
My experience : dissapeared almost 400 mb from my hdd and after 2 scans with ndd that unshowed ' space came back .
It will scan your system before entering in Windows ..

oh, did this problem also occur after reinstallation? also any idea why this problem occurs?

Out of an 80 gig drive you are nevcer going to get 80 gb.

Remember that hard drive manufacturers call 1 GB 1000 MB, whereas windows does it properly ( never thought I'd say that :rolleyes: ) and call 1GB 1024 MB

So 80000 / 1024 = 78.125 so a real 78GB

Now take away partition tables, formnatting etc probably another gig or two and thats why you only get 76GB

76GB minus xp install = about 74 GB

why would the XP install take 2 gigs? are you saying everytime i install XP it will take away 2 gigs?

No, im not saying 2GB will dissapear every time you install xp.

if you install xp it will take about 1 1/2 Gb plus page file which could be from 192 MB to 768 MB or even more. This accounts for 2gb for xp.

If you format the drive first or use a recovery disk which does that for you then the above sums are correct.

One of my hard drives is 40GB, out of that 40GB the actual usable space is 38.4 GB and 19GB out of my 20GB drive.

EH :confused:

Theres no space to get back

Look,

80 GB Manufacturers size = 78 GB REAL size

Formatting and partition tables etc take up space

78GB - Formatting and partitioning = 76GB

Install XP = 2GB

76GB - 2GB = 74

Thats what you have, it's correct

Then only way to have all the space free on your hard drive is to remove all the partitions so it's utterly blank. :D

Not much help to using your machine :)

okay, the thing i just didnt get was when i got my comp it had 76 gigs,, now i had to reinstall XP because it had some problems and now it only has 74... i just thought i could get it back..because i had it at one time.

If your drive is formatted as FAT32 then should windows crash it can leave errors in the MBR and/or FAT. This can the cause windows to misreport the size of the free space. Just wondering if thats likely.

its so simple!!!

I give in, looks like your floggin a dead horse! lol

windows or other OS or program will not show exacly !! the hdd space ( totally ) . If this happends it's 99% there are bads on disk !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back