Missing parts of fonts in KDE 3.2.3

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
This is really hard to explain, but here it goes:
I am using KDE 3.2.3 and am using the default font set that came with the installation CD of Slackware 10.0. Many times, when browsing the web in FireFox, or viewing a document in OpenOffice.org 1.1.3, I see lines of text with fonts that looks like the middle 2-3 pixels where cut off and the upper and bottom bit were glued together again. But upon selecting the text using the mouse cursor, the fonts become normal again :confused: This happens frequently to an entire line of text, but the images aligned on the same line are fine, so it's only the fonts.
I first thought this was an issue in FireFox, but then I noticed this beheaviour in OpenOffice as well and when I make a screenshot of it, and paste it in kPaint or xPaint or whatever paint program available, the fonts look normal too. So it must be an error in the KDE/X-server (Xorg) subsystem somewhere.
What causes this weird thing? Is there any quick fix for it? I am planning an upgrade of KDE as well as xorg anyway, but I first want to do some reading on it (I never done it before), so I need a quick fix or sump. Help me!

KDE always fuxored up my fonts, it has to do with QT somehow. I use gnome as my heavy WindowManager because GTK2 is prettier and esound doesn't screw up my sound like artsd does. I believe you can fix it by making aliases for certain fonts like Verdana, have you configured in xorg.conf to use the antialiased fonts?

artsd does not screw up sound as long as you set it to use another virtual sound channel like /dev/dsp4.4 if you have 4 virtual channels.

I think I'll update KDE first, I noticed I am a few versions behind (using 3.2.3, while 3.3.2 is the latest). Or maybe I'll step over to Gnome, dunno why, but I have never tried it, so I think it'll be a nice change.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back