Missing Pagingfile challenge

While waiting, I wanted to ask you if blue screen error (BSOD) stop 0x0000009F would cause paging file errors or is it vice versa or no correlation at all? The reason I ask is because I have an audio plugin I installed days before this problem started. I am trying to uninstall it because that's what the blue screen says to do - uninstall programs or hardware that might be causing a conflict. How do I uninstall a program when I get "C:\WINDOWS\UNWISE.EXE is not a valid Win32 application" error when I try to uninstall it from the program list. In the remove program list it isn't there! But I am able to use the plugin. So this leads me to believe an incorrect install of this plugin might be the cause of the stop 0x0000009F BSOD error which in turn might be the cause of the missing page file. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
try this...

Open a Command prompt, navigate to WINDOWS\system32 then type in "CSCRIPT Pagefileconfig.vbs" and post back what you get reported- might help...

You'll have to tell me how to do that. I don't know what a command prompt is. Is that the run function?

Do you have show hidden files enabled?

There is always a pagefile, if you tell windows to run without one, it reserves space and pages to a temp file when need be.

Yes I do have show hidden files enabled aswell as system files. Please read this entire thread and I think you'll see this is one of those problems no one can fix other than a reformat.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 77
I'm an abecedarian at this. Re: "open a command prompt", You'll have to spell it out.

My numbers in the "Press Ctrl+Alt+De" are Command Charge Limit: 491988 and Physical Memory Total: 532244.

Last edited:
Search for pagefile.sys does not bring up anything on my system.

However, if I search for pagefile then the file is found so maybe try searching for just pagefile.

pagefileconfig.vbs do you have this file in your system32 folder ?

First off - Make sure you are logged on as system administrator when trying to change/create the pagefile.

The stop error is a power driver error (hibernate and standby). It should have nothing to do with the pagefile but since this is windows:

Turn off your energy saver functions. No standyby or hibernate. Reboot. See if the error and/or pagefiule issue clear.

Windows may have corrupted itself or left a damaged pagefile.sys on the disk when you ran out of HD space for a page file when your laptop went into power saving mode. No place to write the full file. You may not be able to get rid of the damage without a re-format. Windows gets difficult about removing '0' size bad entries in the FAT. I have 3 that are driving me nuts.

Also try searching the registry for pagefile. There may be a corrupted entry which is preventing windows from using the good entry you posted previously.

Last edited:
Since it was me that mentioned command prompt....

You open one from Start >>> All Programs >>> Accessories (where you should see Command Prompt as an option). From there you'll need to navigate to the WINDOWS\System32 directory and I'm guessing you need me to help you do that! SO...

First type "CD .." until the prompt shows C:
Then "CD Windows"
Then "CD System32"
then you are good to go as described in earlier post....

So far as the CTRL ALT DEL question - this usually would show you pagefile usage as a graph beneath the CPU when you select the performance tab... what do you get there?

Let us know about the other suggestions too, perhaps...

Oh and where is Perris?

thanx mainframeguy, perris doesn't do much with computers anymore, it's the busy time of year at worl, working 7 days a week, and going to college at nite as well. plus I guess I pay too much attention to politics nowadays

anyway, I haven't read the entire thread I just skimmed

first, though mentioned on this thread, xp can't run without a pagefile per se, you can turn off the pagefile or not have one but the system will find other files to page and it will page more not less without a pagefile

when you dissable the pagefile the os uses other files to page instead, running without a pagefile forces data that should be paged to remain in memory and data that should remain in memory to be paged

that's a long story

There are two common causes for this problem:

first, you might have set some nonstandard permissions on the root directory of whatever partition you're using. 'system' must have 'full control'.

the second reason is usually a corrupt registry value where the pagefile settings arestored, you'll ifnd that in;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

the value's called "PagingFiles". It should be a REG_MULTI_SZ and for the setting you're trying there

as has been mentioned before on this thread

Try deleting it, then go into the System applet again and set it to what you want it to be from there.

anyway, could you post please a screen shot of your task manager with the performance tab clicked please?

I want to see your commit charge versus your commit limit versus the physical memory regocgnized

thanx

not sure when I can come back to this thread though

Last edited:
American Zombie said:
Search for pagefile.sys does not bring up anything on my system.
However, if I search for pagefile then the file is found so maybe try searching for just pagefile.
SEarching for pagefile renders nothing as I mentioned earlier except a 1kb sized file called "pagefile" located in my Application Data folder which holds my email program called Bloomba created by Stata Labs. Is this a key?
Shamus MacNoob said:
"pagefileconfig.vbs do you have this file in your system32 folder ?"
Negative and I also mentioned earlier.
As far as all the other points, I will now go through all of them. I am assuming the System Applet is accessed via Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System/ Advanced/Settings/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change button?
one of you said said:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management,the value's called "PagingFiles". It should be a REG_MULTI_SZ and for the setting you're trying there"
- As far as the entry is concerned, it was as you spelled out. See below.
one of you said said:
" Try deleting it, then go into the System applet again and set it to what you want it to be from there. " -
OK deleted it and it didn't come back in the registry.
one of you said said:
" anyway, could you post please a screen shot of your task manager with the performance tab clicked please? I want to see your commit charge versus your commit limit versus the physical memory regocgnized" -
I don't know how to do this. But I did record it in writing in my previous post. Here are the values again:Command Charge Limit: 491988 and Physical Memory Total: 532244.
one of you said said:
" First type "CD .." until the prompt shows C:
Then "CD Windows"
Then "CD System32"
then you are good to go as described in earlier post...."
-
OK, the result is this: "Input Error: Can not find script file C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pagefileconfig.vbs"
one of you said said:
"Turn off your energy saver functions. No standyby or hibernate. Reboot. See if the error and/or pagefiule issue clear."
Did it and it didn't help.
one of you said said:
"Windows may have corrupted itself or left a damaged pagefile.sys on the disk when you ran out of HD space for a page file when your laptop went into power saving mode. No place to write the full file. You may not be able to get rid of the damage without a re-format."
-
As I expected to hear. But I have a system restore disk and I also suspect that won't suffice because it will only restore the shallow part of my computer not the deep registry part. Am I wrong ?

Last edited:
I need to move on. Thanks for all your help but it appears that this problem has one solution - reformat. I will first try a system restore but from others with this problem, I have learned that most likely won't fix it because it didn't help them either. I'll do this in about 4 hours from now so if anyone wants to chime in before I do it, now's the time.

N

A windows restore will overwrite the entire registry. If the bug's there it will be fixed.

If the bug is in the file system then unless you can find and fix it (no joy so far and windows may resist fixing it) a reformat will be required.

The error must have been in the registry. All is well except for a power surge warning I keep getting with my PCMCIA usb 2.0 card.
Thank you all for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back