Missing operating system

P

PJC

Xp install stops with the message Missing Operating System

Is it a clean install or is win9x loaded? How far does the install get? Or are you talking post install?

Its not my computer but ithink its a upgrade to ME
he seems to think its at the end of the install should find out more tonight

Whoops posted again instead of editing!:eek:

Im not sure if its a clean install or not ill find out tonight

hmm wierd... only time i saw that message was after turning some new options on in the bios-- and then after reboot when xp was "supposed" to load.. i got that message.. what i did was just to reset my bios! You sure you mean the Xp INSTALL<---???

Try enter the bios and reset it! Load defaults!

LightWave

hmm

sounds like either autoexec.bat or config.sys is missing or corrupted.

Try using the repair function that comes with Windows 2000 or later (if your running 2k or XP).

Other than that I can't help.

Sorry but good luck.

Is there a floppy in drive a:? If so, take it out and hit any key to continue, or take it out and reboot. If that's not it, give us some system info... is he installing to an onboard raid controller - does he have more than one hard drive installed, etc?

lonman there is no floppy in the drive

Specs are
Msi K7T Pro2 Motherboard
60Gb Hd
Duron 700 (not overclocked)
128 Mb ram
Creative 32mb geforce MX

this was a upgrade to ME I suspect he may have to do a fresh install to a new folder

The K7T Pro2 (believe you mean the K7T266 Pro2) has an onboard raid controller. Make sure he doesn't have the drive hooked up to the controller or if it is that the bios is set to boot to it. That missing operating system usually means the board is not setup in the correct boot sequence (not even looking where it's at), or there's no operating system where it's told to look. Make sure it's looking in the right spot... ie the boot order in bios.

That's my guess... if XP setup started and finished the "dos portion of setup" then rebooted to that message, then where he told setup to install to isn't being accessed to complete setup.

Lonman- I thought the K7Tpro2A had the raid ports the mobo does NOT have raid
I dont have access to the computer im trying to talk him through this on the phone and he is only 14.Will get him to check your earlier points tomorrow after school
Thanks PJC

I was looking at the wrong board, MSI does have a K7T pro2 and a K7T pro2-A, niether have the raid, my mistake. Another thought. If he's using an upgrade cd, I'm not sure if they're bootable. If the bios is set to boot to cdrom before the hard drive, and the cd is still in, that could be doing it too.

Got my hands on the comp today
evrything seemet set correctly but the hd access was set to CHS in the bios
I changed this to LBA and triedrebooting and the error changed to NTLDR is missing
replacing this from the CD did Nothing
I gave up and reformated the disk and all went smoothly this time
and the computer now runs XP flawlessly

Thanks for all your help PJC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back