Missing Hard Dive Space - Where Does It Go?

noels7

OSNN Newbie
Political Access
Hi

I have just bought 2 WD raptor sata 36gig hard drives for my new system I am having built.

After formatting and installing winxp how much HD space should be left on a 36gig. Assuming NTFS format. Other 36gig is solely for backing up (ghosting main drive).

On my old system I have used 20gig (80gig partitioned c=38, d=38. 1gig used on d drive) Those usages wil probably not increase by more than 1-2 gig.

What partition ratio for c and d drive would you suggest. All program exe's, mp3, other misc files are stored on dvd for access if required.

Your assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

noels7

Last edited:
MFT uses 12.5%
Loss for format depends on format used and cluster size.
I have as of yet to see a HDD MFG that actually has the true amount stated even in RAW data storage.

My guess would be 30Gb of storage before any install or software.

Standard Home or Pro install should be about 1.2Gb Plus a pagefile and that is dependant on how much physical RAM you have available.

Hard disk capacities are stated in multiples of 1000, not 1024, so first you need to adjust for that :)

Steevo and LordOfLA

Many thanks for your advice and assistance.

noels7

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back