Missing Desktop Icon

C

Capalass

For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disappeared anyone have a clue how to bring it back? I tried to go into the disply properites and coustimes the desktop but "My computer" was not secelictable.

C

Capalass

Not useing any Tweaking tools

I am not using any tweaking tools and currently do not have any installed on my system. Any one got any other thoughts?

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
O.K. try setting everything to the *Default* setting in your *Desk Top Settings* (Click Default and see what happens).

Also I don't know if Desktop Cleanup* would remove it if you never use it.

But look in the *Control Panel* > *Taskbar and Start Menu* > *Start Menu* > *Customize* > *Advanced*... Make sure that under the *My Computer* that the "Don't display this item" is NOT checked. Close all open windows after that.

From there click on the *START* button on yer *TASKBAR* and drag the *MY COMPUTER* icon onto yer *DESKTOP*.

(See attachment below)

yoyo

Just a shot in the dark. I would look in the registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
whether there is anything listed that may block this setting.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
Ooooooh but wait...

If you are runnin the *CLASSIC START MENU* then it's different.

O.K. Here goes...

Click *START* button on taskbar... > *SETTINGS*... > *TASKBAR and START MENU*... >

Click *START MENU* tab at top of the window that has opened up (there will be two [2] tabs)...

Click the *CUSTOMIZE* button on the lower right side...

On the right hand side of the new window that has opened up there are a list of *BUTTONS... Click on the *ADVANCED* button...

A new larger window will open (like an EXPLORER window), on the left side there will be a Directory tree...

At the top will be:

DESKTOP
MY COMPUTER
3 1/2" FLOPPY (A: )
etc...

Click and HOLD on *MY COMPUTER* with your left mouse button and at the same time click and HOLD the *CONTROL* key and drag the *MY COMPUTER* icon onto *DESKTOP* above it.

It should now be back on your *DESKTOP*.

Damn, my fingers are tired. :p

Again... I hope this works.

C

Capalass

Actually no I just gave up, other wierd things went wrong, aplication errors and problems booting into windows. So I just said **** it and did a fresh install.

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
Originally posted by Capalass
Actually no I just gave up, other wierd things went wrong, aplication errors and problems booting into windows. So I just said **** it and did a fresh install.
Sometimes this is the best answer. I hope that all goes well from here on out with the fresh installation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut