Mirroring problem. Please help.

B

benzguy777

I have 2 identical Maxtor 60 Gigs. I tried to mirror them but never got the "mirror" clickable when I right click on the Drives in Disk Managment. It's always grayed out. Both Disks are already set to Dynamic disk, Drive 1 has all space "unallocated".

Followed all the instructions in XP's help but still get a "grayed out" MIRROR option when I right click.

I treid to do this in the same machine with Windows 2000 Server and everything went flawless....... I got MIRROR RAID 1 on my system with 2 Hard Drives.

Just cant seem to do this in Windows XP Pro.

Are you logged on as the Administrator user or a user with adminstrative permissions?

You've done all of the steps correctly.

I am logged on as Administrator. Have you done this already?

Yes, on test machines. Also set up spanned volumes, RAID 5, striped volumes. Always worked fine.

Never tried it on Home, only on Pro.

Can you create simple volumes on the second drive? or a Spanned volume? This will tell us if there's a problem with FTDISK.SYS (mirror driver) or a problem with the disk itself.

As I remember it, you could only use software RAID in Windows 2000 server and NOT in Win2000 pro, so I guess that the same will apply to XP Pro. You either need the new .Net Server or use some sort of hardware raid.

RAID 0,1, and 5 work fine in XP Pro and 2000 Pro as long as the disks were converted to dynamic.

Yes I have setup Simple volumes. No preblem here. I just cannot right click "add mirror" as it is grayed out. I am using Windows Xp PRO.

Windows help says it can be done, but I cannot do it. I amonly trying to do a "software" based raid (RAID 1). Was successfull in doing this in a Win2K Server OS using exactly the same computer.

Going back through my doucumentation when I was playing with this when the betas were released.

= Indy = is correct. You CANNOT do this on XP Home or Pro machine. You CAN use the interface to connect to a remote computer to configure disks remotely. This is obviously what I tested. Sorry, I should have checked the logs first.

Here's the supporting KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307880

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back