Mirroring my system

J

Jdstuhler

I know that when you buy a SONY or an HP machine it allows you (in case of error) install your system to a previous point using a CD. I was wondering if ne-one can recommend any software and give me some input on what they think of this type of backup.

Disk Imaging is what I think you're referring to. Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image. It will save your entire hard drive layout in a single file and then allow you to restore that 'image.' It's a fantastic tool. That's pretty much what you get with some of these pre-installed systems... recovery disks with a drive image on them.

For backup purposes I wouldn't recommend it because you don't really need to backup all your programs and the operating system... just the files you create while using your system. The built-in backup utility is what you want for that (to reduce the size of the backup files). Imaging is more of a disaster control thing for those of us that like to hose our systems on a fairly consistent basis and don't like reinstalling everything like hotfixes and large programs/program suites.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.....I have all my documents and everything but programs on a seperate physical hard drive so i'm not tooo worried about anything happening to that(plus i have most of my files backed on another network machine) i was more concerned with the frequent and time consuming formats and re-installs...thanks again

You'll want to install everything on one drive then - OS and programs. If you install all your programs to a separate drive/partition, then just imaging the OS partition will give you registry problems for picking up your installed proggies... unless you image both drives/partitions at the same time of course. Something to consider.

I see what your sayin....shouoldn't be a problem casue i have two physicals one dedicated to OS and Proggies and One dedicated to documents..thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back