Minor problem [!]

Cosmin

Graphic Designer
Can't delete this file " at all " .. ( if restored same message appears ) .. see pic , thanks :) !

Where does that "pretty critical" bit in the error message come from?
In this part it looks like the folder name would be ". -Commandos 2-". That would be a not allowed filename and trying to delete or rename such a file or folder would result in this error message.

Try this:

Open a command window and navigate to the directory this folder is in. Now type DIR /x . This will give you the 8.3 names of files and folders. Try this name to delete. If still no luck, close explorer from the taskmanager (end process explorer.exe), leave task manager open and try this command in the command window
RD \\.\C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 (replace C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 with the path of your folder to delete using DOS names).
Start explorer again in task manager. File - New task - explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q120716

Another option is to use a syntax that bypasses the typical reserve-word checks completely. For example, you can possibly delete any file with a command such as:
DEL \\.\driveletter:\path\filename

For example:
DEL \\.\c:\somedir\aux

If the name in the file system appears as a directory, use the following syntax.

For example, you can possibly delete any directory with a command such as:
RD \\.\<driveletter>:\<path>\<directory name>

For example:
RD \\.\c:\somedir\aux

-or-

RmDir \\.\<driveletter>:\<path>\<directory>

For example:
RmDir \\.\C:\YourFTP_ROOT's_PATH\COM1 /s /q

/s-This switch removes all directories and files in the specified directory and also the directory itself. This switch also removes a directory tree.

/q-This switch stands for Quiet mode. Do not ask if you can remove a directory tree that contains the /s switch.

hehe , that " pretty critical " was made by me .. thought it will be more interesting :D - thanks anyway ;)

I've tried several times but nahhh , .. , doesn't work .. all combinations ( also with explorer.exe closed ) but same message appears : " The system cannot find the path specified "

What can be done ? :(
I've attached also some new pics' with messages . . .

and the second one :

Thanks for any ideeas that can be useful ;)

don't know what u mean .. I mean I don't know how to use them :( . can help ?

Navigate to the folder D:\Pastime .
To do this type these commands and press Enter after each line

D:
cd Pastime

it should now look like this

D:\Pastime>

now type

dir /x

this will give you a list of the folder content using 8dot3 filenames.
Find the folder you want to delete. Probably it will be called COMMAN~1 or something similar. Now try using this name.

Now try

D:\Pastime>rd \\.\COMMAN~1 /s /q

hope it works

Hmmm... try

D:\Pastime>rd \\.\D:\Pastime\COMMAN~1 /s /q

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back