Mininova flattened by Dutch court

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Mininova flattened by Dutch court ? The Register
http://torrentfreak.com/mininova-ordered-to-remove-all-infringing-torrents-090826/

A civil court has ordered Pirate Bay rival Mininova to carpet bomb all "infringing" BitTorrent files held on its servers within the next three months or face a fine of up to €5m ($7.16m).

Dutch-based pro-copyright lobby group Stichting Brein, which recently took aim at TPB’s operations, brought the lawsuit against Mininova.

The Utrecht District Court ruled* today in favour of Stichting Brein, which accused Mininova of inciting users to violate copyrights and profiting from infringement by running ads on the site.

“Mininova encourages users of its platform to make copyright material accessible via its platform, helps users find the desired file with the copyrighted work and ensures through its 'administrators' and 'moderators' for the copyrighted works that are accessible through its platform, also useful for its users,” the court said.

It disagreed with Mininova’s assertion that it was impossible for it to track and delete torrents that point to copyrighted materials, such as films, music and games.

Mininova was already in the process of removing some files from its site after being hit with a takedown notice from copyright holders. However, the court ruled that this move wasn’t far reaching enough.

"The court believes it's generally known that commercially made films, games, music and TV series are copyrighted and that these works are only copyright-free in exceptional cases," it ruled.

Mininova said it was mulling an appeal.

“We are obviously not satisfied with this ruling,” said Mininova co-founder Erik Dubbelboer.

“The result of this ruling for Mininova is that we have to re-evaluate our business operations. At this time, we cannot determine what this will actually entail or imply. We will have to examine the verdict thoroughly first.”

Elsewhere in the land of the freeloaders, The Pirate Bay sale - which has faced fierce opposition and accusations of insider trading since the Global Gaming Factory first stepped in to buy the BitTorrent tracker earlier this summer - is meant to complete tomorrow.
First The Pirate Bay, now Mininova. Who's next?

I just think it's utterly ridiculous now. If you ask me, all these pricks filing suit against copyright infringment practices... ESPECIALLY in the games industry..... should start RELEASING MORE DAMN DEMOS! Why do they think people download their crap in the first place? I know that people being cheap little bastids is one reason... but the idea of NOT wanting to purchase a game that's utter crap without any way of returning it for your full money back is practically criminal in itself.

Or the people in the movie industry.... should have trailers that are a bit more lengthy, and don't show the best parts of the movie 9 times out of 10, and the rest of the movie sucks royally *cough*Watchmen*cough*.

As for music...... make the albums cheaper. Plain and simple. $15-20 for a CD? come on. blank CD's now cost what... about $0.24 a disc.... for a good quality disc? Which I seriously doubt recording industries use, since the CD's tend to scratch if you so much as look at them and THINK about a scratch. And again... 9 times out of 10, the vast majority of artists tend to have maybe one or two songs out of 10-15 that are really worth listening to, or that you wouldn't mind listening to more than once. If you ask me.... $5 a cd. I don't see the problem with something like that. Cheaper music.... could practically buy that with pocket change if you're like me and tend to have a nice wad of change in your pocket (and to confirm that theory... right now i actually had $6.59 in change in my pocket... granted that's including two $1 coins, and 3 half-dollar coins). More people would probably also see that as being a reasonable price, ESPECIALLY if they don't have the internet, or don't have a portable media player to play $0.99 MP3's on..... people buy more music.... recording industry and artist make more money. Not too complicated a theory.

^^ I agree ... Plus some ..

If they would start releasing some good quality instead of crap you wouldn't have this going on ...

Yeah... like i said... if games didn't suck, people would more than likely buy them. If they had somewhat lengthy demo's of said games, people would know if it's a worthwhile game or not. If musicians stopped recording utter CRAP, people might buy more CD's.

And to further add to the whole movie industry comment i made..... Prices could also be applied to that one. DVD movie prices haven't budged in years..... and BluRay prices? Players have dropped well over half the price they used to be..... blank bluray discs seem to be on the decline....... BluRay movies? Still the same damn price they were when BluRay came out. Seriously.... cheaper prices help people buy stuff, ESPECIALLY with the state the economy is in right now.

totally agree on games. with movies you can rent them at least.

i think music already has a solution, digital downloads! the cd is dead.. seriously, except the classics they're all just 3 good songs and ~12 fillers, much better to go on itunes or amazon and just get the songs you like.
i do have a few complaints tho. not many sites offer full song previews (sure, u can get them on youtube, but not really legal), that should be fixed, listenin to 10 secs from a song is even worse than a trailer.
the second one is regional pricing/availability, this is the worst. most of the times its impossible to get a song outside the us, again thanks to stupid copyright laws (the artist is who should be "protected" but this only protects copyright holders, distribution companies, etc.)

as for movies.. well, if you're gonna watch the mainstream crap, just download it and dont give money to those asshats :p

Yeah. it's REALLY surprising that iTunes doesn't even have a preview option for songs.... or at least not really one i could find.

And i guess technically you could rent the game too (at least console games)..... but still.... FREE demo's are usually nice too..... unless they're rather stupid ones that only let you play through like one small section of a map.

Yeah. it's REALLY surprising that iTunes doesn't even have a preview option for songs.... or at least not really one i could find.

I've often wondered why iTunes on the pc doesn't let you preview songs when the iTunes app does.

it does - you double click the track and it plays 30 seconds...

it does - you double click the track and it plays 30 seconds...

Well after all this time I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. I don't have it on my laptop but I'll try it on tother pc later :)

The problem with a more "lengthy" demo to download of a game these days is that, well, then that's the whole game. :nervous:

haha. sometimes i think that's exactly the point, gonaads. Funny how i think Crysis had one of the more lengthy "demo"'s available as of late.

Most of the hollywood movie makers suck these days I see like 1 good movie a year they got no imagination anymore same goes for the games that come out in the last years. These are not programmers they are spoiled punk college grads that use expensive equipment to make games easy and they ARE NOT ARTISTS. Blizzard I respect you though. By the way I am a college grad as well but unlike the new game makers and movie makers for most of the new stuff I dont shove poop down everyones throat. Look at crysis wow it was an ok game but I played it once and I was done with it then so fast they came out with another revamped crysis2 and it was just to suck more of what they could from the public it wasnt even creative or hardly worked on they just revamped the first to get more money ASAP. Good job to companies like ADOBE they deserve there money though and Maya and 3d's max bad job to hollywood and new game makers you suck. Hire some real game makers and real movie makers fire those lame asses that are crying about why people useing piratebay and mininova. ITS CAUSE YOUR STUFF AINT WORTH A DIME. eat that for breakfast lunch and dinner hollywood and when you want a snack eat it too. So many sick in the head movie makers too or directors whatever making SICK ASS horror films there not even scary they are just SICK like some psycho from the ward made them. Took no brains to make just a sick minded group of people. No suspense at all you already know some persons guts are gonna fly out so its not scary its just sick. Destination 4 for example suck movie the one with val kilmer where they get stuck in a steam room also and many more. I cant hardly watch a whole movie these days without realising I'm wasting my life watching it. Im more entertained watching my dog poop.

Last edited:
Firstly, your grammer is awful for somebody thats graduated from college.
Second, I agree there are quite alot of bad movies and games out these days, 80's remakes/follow on's, etc. But you shouldn't dismiss everything as rubbish just because its modern.

For example:

Halo3
COD 4 + 5
L4D
Crysis Wars
Guitar hero series

These games have some of the biggest user bases ever recorded, so how can they possibly suck?
I would give you everything I own if you could make a game more popular than the call of duty series.:laugh:

the problem I have with a lot of games is that First Person games (mostly shooters) give me motion sickness. Since NWN2 and Mass Effect came out the next CRPG worth getting isn't coming out until November 6 here in the UK and ME2 is still 3 or 4 months after that.

The redevelopment of WoW isn't slated until atleast november 2010 so classic WoW where my toons are stuck is incredibly boring as well. Though I may just reactivate my account so I can finish the original content before cataclysm comes out :)

Haha... yea.... i'm thinkin about the same, LA. Only have one level 80 character in WoW.... only because someone hacked my account, and i didn't know about it for like 3 months. Just sucks that the only time Blizzard really touched the starter content for new players is when they do a complete overhaul of Azeroth..... and even then i wouldn't doubt if the majority of the content they added/changed is for end-game people..... such as the Heroic Deadmines.

Still.... flying mounts in Azeroth will be neat. You have no idea how many places i roamed around and thought "Hmm.... it'd be freakin sweet if i could get up THERE!"

Firstly, your grammer is awful for somebody thats graduated from college.
Second, I agree there are quite alot of bad movies and games out these days, 80's remakes/follow on's, etc. But you shouldn't dismiss everything as rubbish just because its modern.

For example:

Halo3
COD 4 + 5
L4D
Crysis Wars
Guitar hero series

These games have some of the biggest user bases ever recorded, so how can they possibly suck?
I would give you everything I own if you could make a game more popular than the call of duty series.:laugh:

Halo 3 is popular cause people thought it might end up cool cause halo 1 was cool. COD is good i agree one of the few games that are these days. L4D is BORING Crysis I already gave my opinion and guitar might be one of the few good ones. You mentioned the 3 or 4 games out of hundreds of other games maybe thousands if you were speaking in years that were not good. And you spelled grammar wrong. And if you read my bad grammer correctly you would see that I said MOST OF. I didnt say I dismissed EVERYTHING as rubbish. ahaha rubbish. Also I'm here to make a point not get in a spelling B. If you disagree then disagree or make a point you dont have to be a-n-a-l retentive.

Please format your posts properly and use correct English sentence structure. Your posts are hard to read and while you may have valid points not many people are going to read them.

I don't know how anyone can say the Guitar Hero series is a GOOD series. If you ask me, they're milking that sh*t more than Halo and Final Fantasy combined. If it's "Final Fantasy"..... why the hell are there 13 of them? literal, i know. :p

It's sad when Rockband 2, Rockband: The Beetles, Guitar Hero 4, and Guitar Hero 5 all came out within the same year (and no... i don't mean 2009.... RB2 and GH4 were both out right around christmas '08..... RB: Beetles, and GH5 are out well before christmas '09).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back