minimum system to install xp?

C

cam

i recently picked up a pentium II 350mhz 128mb ram 10 gig harddrive machine. windows xp cd reports that it will be okay to install but i have heard from some others with slower processors that it sucks on there. should i stick with 98 on it or go xp?

cam

Don't do it.

Your processor is too low.
Plus 256 Ram is better. Stick with 98 for a while till your going to upgrade your pc.

I dunno, but I think I'd rather have a slow XP then a 98 that just crashes faster, lol. Call me wierd.

I dunno.

It *might work for you, but not very satisfactorly (is that a word? :D ).

Your so close to the bare minimum specs, that it might not work period on that old of a system. Theres a likely chance that there will be incompatibility problems, along with the slow responsiveness that is bound to come with it,

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd say this, but I too recommend you stick with Win98

(OH GOD, DID I JUST SAY THAT???? THE HORROR!!!)

:D

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd say this, but I too recommend you stick with Win98
AAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! That REALLY scared me. :p

Originally posted by Lonman
AAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! That REALLY scared me. :p

Tell me about it...

"What in da hell is da world comin' to?"

--Sheriff Buford T. Juctice

:D

LOL

Ya know, with a 10gig hard drive he can partition it in half and do a dual boot too. Something to consider.

Depends.

How full is the HD right now? Is he prepared to fix things if XP isnt to his liking (Which will more that likely be the situation)? Plus the fact that the MFT will waste some space on the NTFS partition. If done in a 5+5gig partition configuration, that might not leave him with a lot of room.

Things to consider I guess...

Stick Win 2k on.... it kicks ass compared to win 98 which sucks big style........ memory managment, i think it forgot :D :D I owuld go with the dual option and if its slow as mud then format and re-install, dont forget you can make the page file shared by both o/s's if you choose a win 9x and NT dual system, check out the tip below

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1537

I have a PII 366MHz processor and 128MB RAM in my Laptop and I have no problems running Windows XP pro. As far as speed is concerned it seems faster than under WIN98.

David

I installed XP on a PII 366 and it runs fine. How it will run for you probably depends on what you use the computer for. If it is just to do word processing, e-mail and surfing the net you will probably not notice any slowness. Increasing the memory to at least 256meg would make a big difference.

I have PII 350Mhz MMX, 192MB RAM, 9GB Hard Drive, CD-RW and Floppy, GF2MX + OC & Cooling, DSL WireSpeed modem.

Boots in 40 seconds, generally mint performace ... XP rules = Cant go wrong :D

its actually two 5 gig harddrives, hehe.

i think ill just stick with 98 for a while. xp wont run a few old games i like so i can just play it on that box.

cam

i have xp runnin on a 400 mhz celeron 256 ram dual hard drives dual cd rom drives and it runs GREAT!!

ive seen someone run it on one of those and it ran OK, just make sure you have a desent video card. Good video helps it out a little, but not as much as a new prosessor and memory.

I have xp pro running on my mother's pc:

500 celeron
96mb sd-ram
17gig hard drive

runs fine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back