MiniAIM

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Just spotted this over at DownloadSquad, thought it looked cool, so wanted to share it:
miniaim is an AIM client for Windows written from scratch in under 75kb. It has a nice tabbed interface and all of the essential IM functions with the possible exception of file transfer. It's also installation-free and, I'm guessing, very fast. Furthermore, miniaim is under active development and the developer responds to feature requests in the forums in record time.
http://www.miniaim.net/

Not had a chance to try it yet, but it looks rather handy for users of the AIM network who don't want the bloated crapware that the official client has become.

That looks cool indeed, and I agree that Triton has become much more than it needs to :eek:

Also, try www.oldversion.com for prevous, not as fatty version of AIM.

I decided to try it out. It is real nice. Has everything I NEED without the download and buddy icons. keeps it real clean ;)

You cannot connect to the AIM servers with old versions of AIM. It has to be 5.2 (I believe) or newer.

Good spot on MiniAIM.

madmatt said:
You cannot connect to the AIM servers with old versions of AIM. It has to be 5.2 (I believe) or newer.

Good spot on MiniAIM.

take your pick :lick:

Attachments

• AIM.JPG
    AIM.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
Try connecting to the AIM servers with one of them.

I took a stab at 5.2x or newer, 5.2.3290 works, too lazy to try others.

Regardless MiniAIM = good find, I don't know why they murdered the software when they released Triton :(

Looks like it's quite a good little app then? Might install it on the Windows box later.

Is it worthy enough to replace Gaim (in the respect of Gaim only being used for AIM anyway) ?

GAIM is good. v2.0 (beta 1) is very good and beta 2 will be even better from what I've read. MiniAIM might be good for using at work though.

I never liked GAIM, so I would be biased. But, if only using for AIM, I'd say it's a viable replacement. Something you probably already noticed, but it's only version 0.3, might want to test a bit before making the full-time switch :)

*cough* Trillian *cough*

SPeedY_B said:
Looks like it's quite a good little app then? Might install it on the Windows box later.

Is it worthy enough to replace Gaim (in the respect of Gaim only being used for AIM anyway) ?
I'd say if your not planning to see other people's buddy icons and you don't want a buddy icon anyway as well as not needing file transfers, then ya, this is perfect. Plus... No smilies either. So its good if you want JUST AIM messenging. Hehe, runs in the background easy without interfearing with anything!

Are you able to change the port that MiniAIM uses to connect?

Matt, been using Gaim 2.0 b1 for a while now, works quite nice, awaiting the b2 update though to see how that turns out post-community-feedback.

Venom, I like meebo too, but it's still a bit buggy in certain browsers and can bog down a slower system.

Dave, I can't wait for B2 so I can have my clean buddy list window back. It would probably be done if he didn't take on Google Talk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back