Mike Rowe

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
You probably already know the story. A teenager named Mike Rowe bought a domain for himself, www.mikerowesoft.com. Obviously he did it on purpose, as when you say that out loud its sounds exactly the same as Microsoft. So then MS came knocking on his door with a lawsuit.

MS got a lot of bad publicity for "picking" on him, and so they recently agreed settle with Mike Rowe after he agreed to pick a new name for his site. What did he get in that settlement? Under the settlement, Microsoft would cover Mike's costs of changing to a new Web site and redirecting traffic from the old site. Microsoft also had agreed to help the Mike Rowe get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, including an Xbox game console. Further, he has been invited to a technology festival in March at the corporation's headquarters in suburban Redmond.

So you'd think this guy got off pretty good with the settlement. But there is more...Now he is selling the letters he recieved from MS on eBay! And he has so far recieved a bid for $540...At first I sympathized with him a bit, but now its is clear he just wants to milk the cow and make as much money off of this as possible...

I can agree he should have recieved some sort of money for his domain but the way he has scammed MS is unbelievable.

Fair play to him. If you could get money off Microsoft for simply spending an initial $8, you'd do it to :D

To a certain extent, but he is going to extract every penny he can get off of this...I just don't think he deserves it because of what he did and the way he is acting.

He ought to thank M$ for all the free publicity they've drummed up for his domain :p and not push his luck after getting away with it.

o_87 said:
To a certain extent, but he is going to extract every penny he can get off of this...I just don't think he deserves it because of what he did and the way he is acting.
What he did? What he did was decide he wanted some money, and he's getting it. I don't see the problem.
I'm sure **** like this happens all the time, the media just happened to pick up on it, else no one would care or even know.

What he did was choose a name that sounds like Microsoft. I'm pretty sure he'd have to spell out the name to people. He obviously ripped Microsoft's name, but instead of him getting in trouble with the law he is making a lot of $$$. True, a lot of people would do the the same thing, but he just being a pathetic whore.

And there is actually someone who is willing to pay $1024 for the letters...:rolleyes:

And he doesn't produce any software, as the name implies. He's just making a quick buck, but MS deserves a share. It is, after all, their name that he's making money from. "Mike Rowe" is his, but you wouldn't see the masses clamoring to buy that domain name.

I find it unbelievable that the auction is over $1000 with eight days left to go. Why pay that much for "a piece of history?" Rocks at the bottom of the Grand Canyon are freakin' pieces of history too!

*goes to collect rocks to sell on eBay*

MdSalih said:
/me goes to change his name to Micheal Row

MdSalih
hehe, i'm gonna start a stuffed-bird factory, and sell them through "MyCrow'sSoft.com" :p

It makes ya laugh what people will bid for on e-bay.
They think 'cos the word auction's in there, it must be a bargain!.
I've seen TFT monitors sell on there (2nd hand too) for more than you can by a new one for retail!
The sellers must be loving it. All those niaive punters eager to up each-others
paying price :D :p

o_87 said:
What he did was choose a name that sounds like Microsoft. I'm pretty sure he'd have to spell out the name to people. He obviously ripped Microsoft's name, but instead of him getting in trouble with the law he is making a lot of $$$. True, a lot of people would do the the same thing, but he just being a pathetic whore.

Oh c'mon! A pathetic whore!!!???....there is nothing pathetic in what he's done/is doing whatsoever.

I hope he makes a hell of a lot of money out of it in any way he can...why shouldnt he!!?? You would, I would... and so should he. MS p!ss on people/companies like this all the time, i think it's great someone is getting something back!

I can just imagine you in the same situation as he is right now...ooh, i wonder what you would do.

o_87 said:
...Microsoft also had agreed to help the Mike Rowe get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, including an Xbox game console. Further, he has been invited to a technology festival in March at the corporation's headquarters in suburban Redmond.

Where did you get this info from?

Erbmaster said:
hehe, i'm gonna start a stuffed-bird factory, and sell them through "MyCrow'sSoft.com" :p

lol that would be soo cool :D:p

It must be sad life that the bidders of this item lead if they are willing to pay $1500+ for basically junk that they can't use... it'll just sit there and collect dust.
I guess one man's garbage is another's treasure eh?
(I know it's not "garbage to Mike Rowe but you know what I mean.) ;)

Teddy said:
Oh c'mon! A pathetic whore!!!???....there is nothing pathetic in what he's done/is doing whatsoever.

I hope he makes a hell of a lot of money out of it in any way he can...why shouldnt he!!?? You would, I would... and so should he. MS p!ss on people/companies like this all the time, i think it's great someone is getting something back!

I can just imagine you in the same situation as he is right now...ooh, i wonder what you would do.
I know what you mean, but I woudn't fall the level he has...at least retain some respect for yourself.

$1500??? :eek:
What a waste,imagine how many pc's I could build with that :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back