migrating from a Geforce to ATI

P

Pragmatist

I currently have a GForce 2MX running Det drivers. I just bought a 9700 PRO.

Any advice to cleanly removing the Dets and installing the Cats properly?

Originally posted by Pragmatist
I currently have a GForce 2MX running Det drivers. I just bought a 9700 PRO.

Any advice to cleanly removing the Dets and installing the Cats properly?

anytime you are installing a major pieve of hardware.. and the 9700 is a major piece of hardware... itis highly recommended to do a complete format/reinstall of the os so you have no rudimentary dlls and/or calls in the registry to other video card info..

heck I formatted my rig after purchase even though my old card was a retail radeon 8500 card :) so it is nothing against nvidia or other manufacturers...

Thanks for the response, but reformating is out of the question. For a Motherboard, I would do just that but not a video card.

Ive done tons of swaping video cards before and have rarely if ever run into a problem with doing the standard uninstall old drivers, remove device from device manager, swap cards, boot up, install new drivers.

If anyone else has the same situation and has run into any problems, id like to hear about them too.

Then whats the problem? Just install the drivers of the Radeon and forget about the GF2...

By the way... enjoy your Radeon!! Thats a HUGE diff.. from the older card i mean...

I have a 2ti and plan to never upgrade ever again...

:)

Thanks for the response, but reformating is out of the question. For a Motherboard, I would do just that but not a video card.

Ive done tons of swaping video cards before and have rarely if ever run into a problem with doing the standard uninstall old drivers, remove device from device manager, swap cards, boot up, install new drivers.

If anyone else has the same situation and has run into any problems, id like to hear about them too.

well you can still use your radeon...

if you have bugs it is going to be from minor conflicts...

reason I said to get a format and stuff is people with high end cards do complain of certain issues arriving from redundant drivers that are not even being used..

if you find an app that deletes ALL the older drivers... and registry entries... go ahead..

Personally if I couldnt reformat I would findout which drivers the GF card used, then I would remove the card in the device manager, then install the ATi Radeon, check what files it uses, then delete any of the ones that the Radeon is not using that the GF was. Thats about as close to a reformat as you can get.

Isn't there an uninstall entry for the nVidia drivers in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel?

Melon

Update

in case anyone cares.

Got my card. It works well.

I removed the Nvidia drivers from the add/remove section, removed card from the device manager, turned PC off, swapped cards, turned pc on, installed Cats.

It went by painlessly with no problems. everything is peachy.

Re: Update

in case anyone cares.

Got my card. It works well.

I removed the Nvidia drivers from the add/remove section, removed card from the device manager, turned PC off, swapped cards, turned pc on, installed Cats.

It went by painlessly with no problems. everything is peachy.

good...

glad to hear it :)

always do enjoy painless transitions... coz redundant files can be such a pain in da bootay :(

Good, good.... I was wondering on how to go about this since I get my 9700 Pro in tomorrow. I was curious about removing the drivers by the add/remove in control panel. Once before when I was updating GeForce drivers, I remember I removed them, rebooted, and the old ones were back. I ended up intalling over them. But now since I've got a different card, I was wondering if the old detonators would be restored again and mess up my radeon. I guess I'll just try your method Pragmatist, hopefully it'll turn out peachy for me as well.

I will reiterate that IMO formatting after a hardware change as major as a video card is the best way to go to limit conflicts and get the best performance...

if you are changing your keyboard or mouse... no need to format... but a video card I would recommend it :)

Originally posted by Sazar
I will reiterate that IMO formatting after a hardware change as major as a video card is the best way to go to limit conflicts and get the best performance...

if you are changing your keyboard or mouse... no need to format... but a video card I would recommend it :)

Formatting is such a pain in the @$$, especially since I'm on 56k. It takes hours to install all of the programs, set all of my settings back, copy all of my files off of CD-Rs, and then download all of the updates and stuff. It takes me FOREVER to get it all back. Not worth the time if I don't get any conflicts.

Originally posted by Eck
Formatting is such a pain in the @$$, especially since I'm on 56k. It takes hours to install all of the programs, set all of my settings back, copy all of my files off of CD-Rs, and then download all of the updates and stuff. It takes me FOREVER to get it all back. Not worth the time if I don't get any conflicts.

fair enough... but I think it is worth it considering the potential conflicts and the time taken to resolve them AND the worry and sweat over getting things to work.. :)

I would probably recommend buying a cheapy 10-15 gig hdd... and just using it to mirror many of the proggies that you use... or put the INSTALL files on them... and then basically just going ahead and installing from there... thats what I do :)

my c: is my primary with all my windows/office related products and compilers et al... my d: contains all my games and install files for things I dont have a cd for i.e. acidmax for mIRC and cs installation files...

the rest of the stuff I have cd's for... ie win xP/office XP and so on so forth...

it takes me around 1-1.5 hrs to get my system back up running with almost everything installed and without going online to dl files :)

the 2 cd drives help a LOT when installing stuff as well :)

I've got all of my data on one hard drive and the system stuff on another, but it is still a btch of a thing to do a reinstall.

I need to do like a did a while back and put all of my normally used apps on a series of CDs so that I can just use the same CDs over and over

course it goes t its up then I will reformat, but I hope I dont have to do that.

Someday you will eventually have to format ...you might as well start taking steps to prepare ..it really is not that difficult as long as you researrch and prepare. Whether you do it as Sazar suggests ( good reason ) ,when Defrag just won't do it anymore, or when your system ultimately tells you to sod off .

Grym ( and tellin' it like it is ) blayd

I am supprised no one mentioned editing the registry. You can also go in the registry (regedit) and do a search for nvidia and delete all the registry entries for that. That will help keep the registry clean.

CMA Statement:
As always, please do a backup of your registry before modifying anything in it. Neither myself or NTFS. org or any of its members take any responsibily for any damage that my occur. Do so at your own risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back