Midnight

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Simple questions: -

1. On what day does midnight fall?

2. How many midnights are there in a week (seven days)

This was posted on this forum about nine months ago. No one answered correctly but there is a correct answer. Someone nearly got it right (Snoogle!!!!) so don’t give any clues.

:) :) :)

1. Each Night, in between days. So it falls on both.
2. 7

no, midnight belongs to one day, not both days

the answer is in it's title

mid night

meaning this night and not tomorrow morning

12 oclock am or pm does not exist

it's either 12 mid night or 12 mid day

every day has it's own night, and it's own middnight, so I am interested in seeing how anyone would try to justify any answer other then 7

though I know you posed the question because you will show a justification for other then 7, the justification will be flawed.

midnight is the end of the day, not the beginning of the day

this one time I had a dream that I went to a marshmallow factory, and I ate a really big marshmallow. Then in the morning my pillow was gone!!!! :eek:

but then I found it behind my bed ;)

Originally posted by Krux
this one time I had a dream that I went to a marshmellow factory, and I ate a really big marshmellow. Then in the morning my pillow was gone!!!! :eek:

but then I found it behind my bed ;)
LOL marshmallows :D

Do I smell a hijack??? Probably the best thing that could happen to this thread - been here done this before!:p :p

Originally posted by damnyank
Do I smell a hijack??? Probably the best thing that could happen to this thread - been here done this before!:p :p

But where is the proof? It’s not the answer that’s important but the logic used to prove that your answer is correct. In fact this will lead to a totally different and unusual conclusion. And yes, I know.

It's just a different way of thinking.

Midnights don't exist... this is a trick question.

What evidence can you provide that midnight does not exist?

If I asked you to meet me under the station clock at midnight on (say Tuesday) 01/01/2004 every person in the western world would turn up at the expected time so it must exist.

:happy:

Okay, Dave - I agree that midnight does exsist because midnight = 0000 hours(Z) and midnight (0000 hours) would be at the start of the day on 01/01/2004 - not at the end of the day on 12/31/2003 as some would believe.

Just for grins and I really think you (I know I did) may learn something from this - the following is extracted from here

A need for a standardization of time keeping evolved with the increase in international commerce and the development of communication systems. The Earth's Coordinates System became the natural choice as a prime reference. The current coordinate system was agreed upon in 1884 by the International Meridian Conference in Washington, DC. The conference established that the Prime Meridian will be the line of longitude that passes through Greenwich, England. The prime meridian (0 degrees) and the 180 degrees; meridian form a great circle. The 180 degrees meridian was designated as the international Date Line. It was agreed that at noon in Greenwich the date is changing at the 180 degrees longitude. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), became the international global time reference. GMT is reported in a 24 hours system suffixed by the letter Z (or Zulu) beginning at midnight (0000Z). GMT was later changed into Universal Coordinated Time (UTC). The UTC time is measured with astronomical techniques at the Greenwich astronomical observatory in England. It corresponds with a good approximation to the mean solar time at the observatory.

Because the Earth is constantly rotating, the time is also constantly changing. This change can be easily calculated. Since there are 24 hours in a day (or 1440 minutes), the rate of change is 4 minutes for each degree of longitude (1440/360). It follows that the rate of change for each minute of longitude is 4 seconds (4/60 of a minute). However this computation is merely academic. For practical reasons the Earth was divided into 24 time zones, each representing one hour. Each zone is 15 degrees wide. Zone zero is the zone which extends from 7° 29'59'' W to 7° 29'59' E. To express the time in UTC the zone number should be added to the local time when west of the prime meridian and subtracted when east of it.

The time zone can be calculated by dividing the longitude by 15, (i.e. the time zone on the 150 degrees east longitude is 150/15=10E), which means that the time on the 150 degrees east meridian is 10 hours later than in Greenwich. It is important to indicate that each time zone is approximately 15 degrees wide, representing one hour intervals. For example, the center of time zone 5W is the 75 degrees west meridian and it extends from the 67° 30'00''W meridian to the 83° 29'59"W meridian.

To convert the local time to UTC, it should first be converted to a 24 hour system. The time zone should be subtracted when east of the prime meridian and added when west of it. For example, 10:45 P.M. in New York is 22:45 in a 24 hour system. Since New York is in the 5 degrees west time zone, 5 hours must be added to the New York local time (22:45 + 05:00 = 27:45). A result greater than 24 hours indicates a change of the date. When that is the case, 24:00 hours should be subtracted from the result to get the correct time. By subtracting 24:00 from 27:45 we get the time in UTC as 3:45Z on the next day. Respectively, if subtracting the time zone from the local time results in a negative number, it indicates that the previous date is still valid in UTC. To get the time in UTC the negative number should be added to 24:00, i.e. if the time in Cairo, Egypt, which is located in time zone 2 dgrees east is 0100, the subtraction of 0200 hours from 0100 results in -1. This indicates that the UTC date has not changed yet and that the time is 24:00 + (-1) or 2300Z on the previous day.

Now this should really confuse quite a few folks - but us who use to frag planes all around the globe understand it and my working from 2300 hours (currently CST) until 0730 (CST) further strengthens my understanding!

Like you said Dave - different ways of thinking!:p

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
What evidence can you provide that midnight does not exist?

If I asked you to meet me under the station clock at midnight on (say Tuesday) 01/01/2004 every person in the western world would turn up at the expected time so it must exist.

:happy:

They arrive at a time that they assume is midnight, but that doesn't mean that it exists. ;)

Great, at least now there is thinking going on. It reminds me of one of the Mars probes that was programmed to react to two legal sets of instructions, however one was in feet and inches the other in meters and centimetres, whilst both are correct in their own domain when used together in an interactive way disaster ensues. This cannot be checked by applying mathematical modelling or in fact by applying any type of checking procedures unless the checker or writer/programmer is already aware of this potential problem.

Believe me the standards and institutions that set time standard/mathematics/calculus and it’s logic over thousands of years have missed this completely. Mathematics is only capable of measuring the difference between things just like time and it’s measurements and calculations. None can define anything. This is by design.

Try and produce a legal and logical definition of midnight!

If you can’t then it does not exist.

Simple? I don’t thinks so.
:eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
Great, at least now there is thinking going on. It reminds me of one of the Mars probes that was programmed to react to two legal sets of instructions, however one was in feet and inches the other in meters and centimetres, whilst both are correct in their own domain when used together in an interactive way disaster ensues. This cannot be checked by applying mathematical modelling or in fact by applying any type of checking procedures unless the checker or writer/programmer is already aware of this potential problem.

Believe me the standards and institutions that set time standard/mathematics/calculus and it’s logic over thousands of years have missed this completely. Mathematics is only capable of measuring the difference between things just like time and it’s measurements and calculations. None can define anything. This is by design.

Try and produce a legal and logical definition of midnight!

If you can’t then it does not exist.

Simple? I don’t thinks so.
:eek: :eek:

I'm not a science person at all, but I managed to comprehend all of that. Some people hate that they can't work something out with logic, because sometimes the logical answer is that there isn't one... at least that's what I think. :happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back