Midnight?

Which is correct:
12 Midnight A.M. or 12 Midnight P.M.?

Neither!

Twelve midnight A.M. and twelve midnight P.M., or 00:00 A.M. and 00:00 P.M., mean nothing at all. They are simply the midpoints that divide the day into two equal halves.

Each and every day begins exactly at midnight, and each A.M. begins precisely thereafter. Similarly, each P.M. begins immediately after noon. No meaning can be assigned to 12:00 A.M. (00:00 A.M.), or to 12:00 P.M. (00:00 P.M.). They are merely reference points meant to simplify timetables for us.

Along the same line, the Universal Day, established by the International Convention in 1884 in Washington, D.C., U.S.A., operates according to World Time, or Universal Time at Greenwich, England. The logic regarding Midnight and Noon also applies to Greenwich Mean Time, commonly referred to as GMT or Zulu time; Midnight and Noon represent markers, or "page breaks" in the day and in the night, and may be represented by 00:00 o’clock.

Greenwich, England also holds the distinction of being at the point of zero longitude, where East meets West. The 1884 international agreement also recognized this line of zero degrees longitude as the prime meridian, a point from which all points on the earth’s surface are measured.

Click here for the reference

SnookBooger:

If I asked you to meet me at midnight on the "current day" when would you arrive?

damnyank:

So if I asked you to meet me at Midnight on Monday (whaterver date) you would never arrive?

No - I would be 6 hours late since I am not on Greenwich mean time - nor British Summer time !

damnyank:

Let’s not dodge the issue here:

I gave you a job as a help and support manager where you were required to start work at midnight through to eight in the morning and your first day of work was on Monday which day would you leave home?

This is not time zone related.

By the way your original reply was lightning quick and an accurate description, just did not answer the question but I like your thinking.

By the way if you answer the question logically it will invalidate your previous answer.

I work the midnight shift - I would leave for work on Sunday to start work at midnight and get off 8 hours later on Monday morning at 8 am.

Dave's question: If I asked you to meet me at midnight on the "current day" when would you arrive?

On the current day of your request.

You could say that midnight falls on "every day" or that it's an expression that's fallen into common use along with its understanding. However their are some professions/jobs where this is absolutely vital as they are covered in law requiring a decision and legal definition of what day midnight falls on or is attached to. Public service drivers are a good example.

Not as easy as it looks

So Dave - did I answer your question correctly about working on Monday??

damnyank:

Yes you did as without thinking you have included two calander days in your answer to clarify. This was not the question originaly asked however.

SnookBooger:

Time frames worked throught the military or related systems that usually use a twenty four hour clock never do anything at 00:00hrs. It's always 23:59 or 00:01 ever wondered why?

no not really... I usually have more important things to do than worry about 23:59 and 00:01 and stuff :)

however this entire thread has given me a lot of insight and reminded me as to WHY it was that I never bothered to delve into the secrets of the midnight hour (minute/second/whatever)

but cheers guys... :D

Dave Sorry - but I spent 23 + years in the US Air Force and - I started work at 0000 hours many a night!

BTW - are you a lawyer?? Nothing wrong with it - Just thought you sounded like one!

:D :D

damnyank:

I'm not a legal person but like yourself spent many years in the military this is where I was trained in computing.

I'd take a bet that no missile was ever pre-set to launch at the time you started work 00:00hrs.

On what day does midnight fall?

Hey Dave - I have to be at work at midnight - enjoyed the challenge - I am going to bed (on Saturday night) - so I can be at work on Sunday! HA! HA!

Cheers m8!

Originally posted by damnyank
Dave Sorry - but I spent 23 + years in the US Air Force and - I started work at 0000 hours many a night!

BTW - are you a lawyer?? Nothing wrong with it - Just thought you sounded like one!

:D :D

Thank you for your Service Damnyank.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back