midnight club 2 grey screen problem

Ketchupisyourfriend

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi, I just installed midnight club 2 and before and after every race as well as most of the times i go through a check point the screen turns grey for about 3 or 4 seconds. My system more than meets the minimum requirements except I'm not sure about the video card. I've got a geforce 2 mx400. If it is because of my video card is there a setting I can turn off so it doesn't do this? Any other ideas on what might be wrong? Thanks

*update* it happens whenever i manually advance songs or when cops turn their sirens on, i'm starting to think it has something to do with loading sounds... any other suggestions?

it could be problem with your sound card drivers
check out the manufacturers web site to see if there any updated drivers

other things you could try
disable fog emulation in direct 3D display options
reinstall sound drivers
reinstall graphics drivers
reinstall dx9
reduce hardware sound acceleration in dxdiag by one notch

I've messed around with it more and it seems to be whenever the game loads anything during gameplay. For example when it greys out on checkpoints it is only the checkpoints that give you a new time limit when you pass them, it has to load the display to tell you the new time. At the beginning of races it greys out because of the 3..2..1 displays.

Whoa! I was just checking to try and change my directx settings and all I found in the program files under directx was an empty folder. I think I'll try installing it again, lol.

Well I reinstalled DirectX and it didn't fix anything. The folders are still empty in program files and there is nothing new in the start menu. Where do I go to configure it? Thanks

Start -> Run -> DxDiag

That'll get you into directX so you can see your settings, but for some reason I doubt thats the problem if you just reinstalled it and it fixed nothing.

My best guess would be video card drivers. What video card are you using? What driver version are you using? Have you tried a different version (older/newer)?

I have this game, and it runs perfectly fine with my setup.

I'm using a Geforce 2 MX400. I'm using old drivers because they are the only ones that work the way I like them to when outputting to my tv. I think the exact number is 28.32 or something. The only thing that makes me think it isn't a video card problem is that it goes grey when loading songs as well, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the video card. Of course I could be, and quite frequently am, wrong lol. Maybe I'll try reinstalling the game itself.

oh yea, another thing I noticed is that when the screen is grey if I pause I can see fine, but then unpause and its still grey for a few seconds

Midnight Club II won't let me change resolutions. It's stuck at 640 x 468, and whenever I try to change it, the game crashes. Any ideas?

Originally posted by inso
Midnight Club II won't let me change resolutions. It's stuck at 640 x 468, and whenever I try to change it, the game crashes. Any ideas?

I believe that is admitting you have a pirated version of the game, but I'm never one to point fingers ;) . Anyway go to your mc2 directory (probably c:/program files/rockstar games/midnight club ii) and open up the userdata folder. Then open the file options.cfg in notepad and there is a part that says screenwidth: 640 screenheigh: 480 just change those to whatever you'd like and save the file.

As for an update on my problem I reinstalled the game completely and I still have to same problem. Looks like I'm out of options except to try new vid card drivers :(

Ok I found the answer to my problem and figured I'd post it in case any one else has the same problem. I found on another forum that I wasn't the only one (yay). Anyway to fix it you have to turn off the fullscreen effects option. It makes the game run so much faster too

No, I bought my copy at CompUSA for $39.99 USD just yesterday. Anyways, I have already tried editing options.cfg, but when I load the game I get a fatal error message.

Inso

Does your video card have enough memory to support higher resolutions? You need 32 meg or more for super VGA.

Or, it could be a video card driver issue or an old verison of direct x.

Give us some video card and driver details and we can help better.

No, I bought my copy at CompUSA for $39.99 USD just yesterday. Anyways, I have already tried editing options.cfg, but when I load the game I get a fatal error message.

My apologies, I just know that people who downloaded the game were having a similar problem. If editing options.cfg didn't work then I'm not sure what to suggest next. Let us know what you're running it on and maybe someone can help. :)

P4 1700 Mhz
256 MB RDRAM
G4 Ti4600 128 MB

Another problem I have is the playlists. I can load my .m3u playlists in the game, but nothing plays...just silence. And yes, the volume is all the way up, and the game music works just fine.

When I tried using m3u files it didn't work, I had to copy the actual mp3s into the directory. Its a pain but it works.

P4 1700 Mhz
256 MB RDRAM
G4 Ti4600 128 MB

Another problem I have is the playlists. I can load my .m3u playlists in the game, but nothing plays...just silence. And yes, the volume is all the way up, and the game music works just fine.

you dont need the full mp3 file
a shortcut to your mp3's should work

hey besides all those problems you might be geting is it still a good game? im thinking about geting it

Originally posted by prodj88
hey besides all those problems you might be geting is it still a good game? im thinking about geting it

Now that I fixed my problem the game is awesome! If you're thinking about getting I'd say go for it. It gets a little tough, and slightly frustrating sometimes, racing through traffic at 150+ mph and having to navigate to a checkpoint by looking at the little map in the corner, but its wicked fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back