Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Will Remain Free

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
Bill Gates announced today at a conference in San Fran., that MS's AntiSpyware will remain free (for personal use) even after the Beta period expires.

Since December, Microsoft has rolled out new capabilities to assist customers in combating malicious or unwanted software and removing it from their machines, including the beta version of Windows AntiSpyware. Customers have downloaded more than 6 million copies of Windows AntiSpyware since it became available Jan. 6, 2005. Gates announced the company's plan for making the personal version of the final Windows AntiSpyware software available at no additional charge to licensed Windows customers as part of the Windows value proposition. The offering will offer full functionality to consumers, including the ability to detect and remove spyware, continual protection that helps guard against more than 50 ways that Web sites and programs can put spyware on a PC, and protection against the latest threats through the combined efforts of the SpyNet™ community and Microsoft researchers. For business customers, with more complex infrastructure support, management and deployment needs, Microsoft plans a managed anti-spyware solution that will be available as part of a paid solution.

More info HERE

let's just hope it doesn't put the other applications out of bussiness

so when do I get my refund from MS/Giant seeing my subscription was cut short?

When I heard Microsoft would be charging a fee for the service I was very disappointed. This is great news. Its good to see they are acting responsibly to protect their customers from their vulnerable products.

LordOfLA said:
so when do I get my refund from MS/Giant seeing my subscription was cut short?

Yep I agree, I only had it 2 weeks and Bill got it :devious:

Lets keep in mind that when a company sells out to another company, it's not the company that buys them that is screwing you, it's the company that sold out.

...and it never works that way. You can forget about a refund. :)
It's too much of a logistical hassle to get refunds out to every customer who paid. When Google took over Picasa and made it free, there were no refunds either. I guess you can have the satisfaction of supporting a good product that you like, and be thankful that you won't need to renew your subscription/license again.

It would appear I am ok getting updates for Giant, but all the developements are going into this Beta Version.

Question : Do I hangfire until they get to a final version of it, or go to this Beta version. I am usually not happy running Beta versions on the System., though I realise this is a slightly different case. :)

Electronic Punk said:
Nice1 NetRyder :D
Thanks. Looks like OSNN was the first to post the news this time? ;)

polyglory said:
It would appear I am ok getting updates for Giant, but all the developements are going into this Beta Version.

Question : Do I hangfire until they get to a final version of it, or go to this Beta version. I am usually not happy running Beta versions on the System., though I realise this is a slightly different case. :)
As far as stability goes, the beta has been rock solid (I'm referring to the initial build...I only just installed the refresh). I don't know what the difference is between the two versions, to be honest. Since you bought the license, you could possibly contact GIANT support and ask them?

Thanks Netryder,

The site says this:

For currently licensed customers of Giant Software, Microsoft will continue to provide the same level of support for the Spam Inspector, Popup Inspector, and Giant AntiSpyware products as offered by Giant Software prior to its acquisition.

However I have filled in a task sheet and will see what happens :)

Actually, this should answer your question :)
Note to current GIANT AntiSpyware Users
Current GIANT AntiSpyware users with active subscriptions are advised to continue to use their existing software until those subscriptions end. If your subscription to GIANT AntiSpyware has expired, you will need to first uninstall any previous versions of GIANT AntiSpyware before downloading and installing the Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) software.
Apparently, there are also some benefits for customers who paid for a subscription before the takeover:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/currentcustomers.mspx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back