Microsoft Update (MU) SP1 Beta Program

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Dear Microsoft Update Beta tester,

My name is Eric Brodish, Beta Coordinator for the upcoming Microsoft Update Service Pack 1 Beta Program. I am delighted at the opportunity to work with you on the continuation of improvements to our update processes.

To recap, the Microsoft Update (MU) Beta Program ended earlier this year and the MU and Windows Update v6 (WU) sites are operational. Our heartfelt thanks to all of you who participated. Your feedback on troubleshooting, site usability and general fit and finish (to name a few) helped to deliver WU/MU on time and at high quality.

As we look forward to 2006, our first beta program is for MU Sp1. In preparing for this new beta, we have moved from Betaplace to http://connect.microsoft.com, and as a previous beta participant, we have nominated you to join this program (which will also put you on our list for future beta programs). The nomination process is straightforward, and includes basic registration information, and a survey to give us some demographic data on our beta community.

After joining the new MU Beta Program, you will receive more information about the Microsoft Update (MU) Site Service Pack 1 Beta.

As always, we value your continued participation in Microsoft beta programs.
I will ensure that any comments you make for improving the beta experience will be closely evaluated by the MU beta team.

Again, thank you, and I look forward to working closely with you soon on this beta!

Warm regards,
Eric Brodish, Beta Coordinator

I never get invited for the big beta programs (i.e. Vista or Office), but I do get invites for MU/WU! Lucky me.

Also on that test, looking forward to seeing what could possibly change :)

How cool of a job must it be to have the title of "Beta Coordinator" for Microsoft? :)

Do you guys have any tips how I can get into this Beta testing loop? I have signed up for things whenever they are available, but have never been picked :(

Thank you. When I receive more information I will be sure to post.

The best way to become eligible for betas is to keep an eye out for such invitations where they include the information, login using your Passport, and apply.

I have been applying any chance I get. Less of going to one of the events, WinHEC, PDC, others, I just have to wait and hope I get lucky I guess :s

For those of us on the beta team for this project... it is live and available.

Dear Microsoft Update beta tester,

The SP1 beta is live! You can now log into Microsoft Connect http://connect.microsoft.com and follow the links to the Microsoft Update (MU) Beta Program home page. Key information about the beta will be available through additional links on the Home page, and in the Microsoft.beta.microsoftupdate newsgroup on betanews.microsoft.com.

Scenarios that you can use as testing guides will be available as downloads on the home page as well. After completing each scenario section please submit feedback on weather it was successful. Please include Scenario\ at the start of the title for this feedback and include the SusClientId for the machine where the tests were performed to help with tracking purposes. The SusClientId is located within the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\SusClientId.

Success for this beta will be measured by your feedback on the scenarios. Document each scenario that you completed by Submitting Feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com with Scenario\ at the start of the title.

I will use these posts to track scenario execution progress.

Support will be provided during this beta, in English only, based mainly on your newsgroup postings and bug reports. Post issues and concerns in the Microsoft.beta.microsoftupdate.general newsgroup. Use the Submit Feedback form from the home page for reporting bugs. Please refer to the document on “How to Submit a Bug” and “How to Search for a Bug” on the home page at http://connect.microsoft.com. These documents will provide information on the proper formatting of bugs. We encourage you to enter a bug for every issue encounter on the site, including those that you resolve yourself. If you do resolve the issue please be sure to include the resolution in the bug so that we can document it to create troubleshooters or Knowledge Base articles to help others.

This beta is expected to last until the end of January and cover the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site only. Its purpose is to test fixes that have been made since the release of the site in July of 2006. Since this is an accelerated beta we would greatly appreciate any feedback in a timely manner so that we can address all your concerns and suggestions during this period.

LINKS REMOVED

I have asked Jupiter Jones to help me with this beta he will be providing first-line assistance and guidance, and will alert me to any emerging issues. You should not consider him as ‘beta police’; rather as a very knowledgeable peer who is taking on extra work to help make this beta run smoothly.

Please remember that this is a private beta and all information and discussions are restricted under Microsoft’s Beta EULA that you accept as a beta tester.

We will be sending out weekly updates to keep everyone up to speed.

Dive right in and have a great time with this beta!

Warm regards,

Eric Brodish
Beta Coordinator

Also on the beta, but didn't there was much information or anything that is radically different that could merit a post.

Didn't even try to update my MU software, will say that the beta covers both Windowsupdate and Microsoftupdate though.

There aren't any visual improvements and it's hard to tell what improvements there are. It worked, so that's a good thing.

Well it is also possible that they just got the clone of the windowsupdate site live and we are currently using a different server which is still identical to the live.

The beta isn't that long... only about two weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back