Microsoft Still Fighting Piracy?

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
<A HREF="http://pages.prodigy.net/br0adband/Windows_XP_and_Service_Pack_1.htm" TARGET="_blank">Here</A> are br0adband's opinions on what is going to happen to illegal users of WindowsXP and the soon-to-be-released service pack.<br><br>The guide, which is easy to read and understand, hopes to clear up confusion that occurs on forums, IRC etc.<br><br>Do you agree with his opinions? Let us know your thoughts on the forum.

If it was all that easy for microsoft they would have had all that in place the first time. Anyway, I can't believe you think that people won't have this cracked within a few weeks or less.. truly funny.

Bottom line, even if people are locked out of windows update... someone else will just pop up their own windows update site and but the patchs on as downloads... But whatever, I just find it funny how everyone jumps on the "microsoft knows all" bandwagon... not only don't they know all they don't care that much to know all.

Again this link pops up. It's complitely fabricated by this guys mind. He has no evidence whatsover on this.

His story is completely invalid. To believe in what he claims to be true, you have to assume that each copy of XP has an entirely unique key. This is not the case.

There are loads of shipments that have exactly the same key. Legally. I know this because a company I work for ordered 30 PC's with XP. XP was pre-installed on these machines and all had the same key both in the software and on the box. They are all exchangable. Completely legal.

It's nothing but a panic story which tries to encourage you to give in to M$' monopoly position.

Originally posted by Sm|th 6th
I can't believe you think that people won't have this cracked within a few weeks or less.. truly funny.

Where did I say that ?

Microsoft

I can agree to Microsoft's policy against pirated versions of their software. What I can't agree to is that a crappy OS like Windows costs this amount of money. Let's face it, Windows isn't and it will NEVER be a professional OS. And now they're releasing a server version that supports alpha blending on the desktop, give me a break... I DON'T want any fancy graphics when I'm running a server, I want the possibility to turn the graphics OFF though 50% of all crashes originate from graphics related problems.

Instead of lowering the prizes on their products, they're spending millions on this crap (and it WILL get hacked/cracked again).

Don't get me wrong here, I'm running a legal version of XP because I got it for free from my company, but I would NEVER pay those money Microsoft is asking for, by the simple fact that Windows isn't worth it...

And the stupid bastards doesn't understand that all this registration/activation crap only pushes more people over at the Open Source community.

Even if it is true, my opinion is this. An Operating System is vital for a machine to run. If Microshaft would make it afforable to everyone, there would not be this so called "rampant pirating." Two hundred bucks for a full install of XP-Pro is ridiculous. The worst part is even when the new OS comes out, the older ones are still on the shelf at the same price. Until MS comes up with a fair price structure, there will always be this challenege to break their so called protection.

I'm really considering switching to Linux. I'm not a computer newbe, but all the different versions alone are giving me a headache.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday at my local Staples... XP Pro was cheaper than Windows 2000 !!!

It is even necessary to install this new SP??

Originally posted by FatesWarning
It is even necessary to install this new SP??

I did. I put back my image from before the upgrade.

It has all the updates which were already released. Besides that you get all the M$ software, whether you want it or not. Then it lets you choose if you want that software to be default or not.

And from add/remove windows compnonents you can uncheck MSN, WMP, IE and OE. XP will then not delete it, but put the files on 'hidden.'

Besides that it screwed up my add/remove programs. I get an error "write failure " in line 471" Something like that. I have seen another person on another forum having the same problem.

So in my opinion it stinks.

LOL

Guys chill out and smoke a bong... First of all by analysing this pathetic guys info on microsoft key none of it is valid and never will be. Also by the looks at the bottom were he states an ELite Hacker might release a crack soon, he's telling us that he KNOWS about a crack in development, maybe HE IS the anonymus guy making the famous SP1 Crack. Beware people always disguise themselves as sheep, but remember he's just a wolf under sheeps clothing.

My line 472 has an error, but it seems to relate to the theme I am using, as add/remove works with other themes...

Time to make all the themes SP1 compatible ;)

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
My line 472 has an error, but it seems to relate to the theme I am using, as add/remove works with other themes...

Time to make all the themes SP1 compatible ;)

That would explain it! So now I have to choose between nice looks or being up to date....

Sure it is just a matter of the theme makers checking the theme...

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Yeah I noticed that yesterday at my local Staples... XP Pro was cheaper than Windows 2000 !!!

This is true. A pure and simple marketing strategy on the part of Microsoft. They are phasing out windows 2000 and by maintaining its price and "lowering" the price of windows XP, everyone would jump on the XP bandwagon.

Originally posted by Device
I'm really considering switching to Linux. I'm not a computer newbe, but all the different versions alone are giving me a headache.

Agreed.

There is no way MS will ever transfer your UNIQUE KEY across the internet to it's update site.

Not hard to intercept these msgs on their way to the update site and un-encrypt them.

Viola thousands of valid keys you can start messing with and messing with valid paying customers.

Hey Sledge nice idea, i would have never thought of that , but i bet the hackers already are thinking of that is that MYth of them having all PID is true, which i doubt 99.999999%

I have a legal copy of Win95, W98, WinME and XP. Also have the Corp.(devils Own). The Xp version i'm running is that one (corp0 cause i dont need to activate cause that boders me a lot. I just reformat my drive last week and run win update download what i need and then creatre an image. I dont know what is the big deal with SP1 my XP is running great w/out it so why i need to download? If i ever get stuck (i honestly doubt it) i will open my legal copy of XP and install it. One more thing: what happen to the people that have copies of w98,200, Me, can they run windows update? If they can whats the big deal??

M$ did shut down corporate update, but you can also download all updates from here.

Just select Win XP as a product and all updates are there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back