Microsoft Plans Vista Holiday Promotions

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Microsoft Plans Vista Holiday Promotions
Company hopes to boost PC sales, despite the delay of the OS.

Microsoft confirmed this week that it will offer a customer promotion for Windows Vista to prepare for the holiday shopping season in November and December. The move is aimed at ensuring PC sales remain strong despite Vista's delay in shipping until next year.

The company is working with partners on the issue, it said in a statement sent via e-mail by its public relations firm. But it declined to comment on specific plans, saying more information will come later.

Analysts have suggested the company offer coupons for customers purchasing PCs that will support Vista so they can easily obtain the OS or buy it at a discount once available.

Launch Schedule
In March Microsoft delayed the widespread release of Vista until January 2007, a move that is expected to discourage PC sales during the busy holiday shopping season. The company originally had expected to have Vista on PCs by that time. Some analysts, including those at Gartner, have predicted that the general availability of the OS may slip even further into 2007.

At this point, according to Microsoft's current Vista release schedule, business customers will be able to purchase Vista through volume licensing by the end of 2006, with the general release of the OS coming early next year.

Microsoft already has been trying to prepare customers to purchase PCs that will be ready to run Vista when it is available. In May the company launched a Web site outlining the minimum hardware requirements for Vista.

The "Get Ready" site outlines the requirements for running both low-end versions of Vista or higher-end versions that take advantage of the OS's new Aero graphical user interface capabilities. It also provides a tool so users could test whether their current hardware can support different versions of Vista.

Source: PCWorld.com

I think I saw this offer on the MS website last week. Can't see it now, they might have relocated the link on a different page.

This article has more information...

I don't see how Vista's release will slow PC sales. Those who don't even know what Vista is [probably 90% of users] will buy a new PC. Out of the remaining 10%, 8% will know that Vista will be unimpressive at best. I don't think a 2% difference will be noticeable.

I think it's focused on the fact that most people who buy computers from stores, buy it with a bundled OS. This is a statement comparing to those who build and load their own OS on it.

I would hope, and I could be wrong, that more than 10% of computer users out there know about Vista. They may not, however, know the update(s) on the release dates. I also hope, and again I could be wrong, that more than 8% of them KNOW that Vista will be BETTER than "unimpressive" as that is definitely not the case. Taking your path into consideration of the users who might not be as tech-savy, such as users who don't follow Vista and it's development and release, to those users Vista will be a blessing as it should be much more secure than XP.

Just my .02

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back