Microsoft Outlook Blocked Message

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 and it has this feature of blocking EXE files automatically. How can I disable it? Thanks.

I'm not sure about this, but maybe you should try to add the trusted email addresses in to the safe list - that way whenever you receive emails from that person, it'll load up all the pictures and html codes (and maybe allow you to download .exe files).

1. Run Regedit, and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security (change 10.0 to 9.0 for Outlook 2000 SP3 or to 11.0 for Outlook 2003)
  2. Under that key, add a new string value named Level1Remove.
  3. For the value for Level1Remove, enter a semicolon-delimited list of file extensions. For example, entering this:

.mdb;.url

would unblock Microsoft Access files and Internet shortcuts. Note that the use of a leading dot was not previously required, however, new security patches may require it. If you are using "mdb;url" format and extensions are blocked, add a dot to each extension. Note also that there is not a space between extensions.

I'm assuming that you are not running with an Exchange server and/or don't have access rights to create a root Public Folders in your Exchange server. If you are running on an Exchange server and have the ability to create public folders, let me know because there is a different (and, in my opinion) and better way to accomplish this in an Exchange server environment.

Registry Modification at it's finest.. standard disclaimer: Make a backup of the registry keys in question before changing..

The Microsoft KB Article seems to have gone missing for Outlook 2002.. but it used to be under KB article 290497..

Well, the steps, as I remember them are:
Browse to the regkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security

Find the value:
Level1Remove

If the Level1Remove Value does not exist, Add it as a String value

Modify the Level1Remove value to include the extentions you want to allow. (ie: to allow .exe files, type in ".exe" - w/o the quotes). Multiple file types are seperated with a semi-colon (or a ";" - again w/o the quotes if you don't know what a semi-colon is) :)

Restart your computer to make sure you didn't break anything too badly and you should be good to go.

edit: DOH! Spent too much time writing mine and got beat!

Thanks. I'll follow the regedit instructions. Great... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back