Microsoft Looking at Emacs for .Net

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Unix/Linux technologies are finding their way onto .Net.

Microsoft is working on a project that would essentially bring the functionality of the Emacs text editor to .Net.

Microsoft software architect Don Box on Dec. 29 posted a blog entry stating that his colleague, Douglas Purdy, was hiring people to work on a new extensible text editor. Box's post pointed to a Purdy blog post from Dec. 26, where Purdy said: "We are looking for developers/testers to build a tool that I will roughly describe as 'Emacs.Net.'"
The Emacs text editor has been around for years, developed in 1976 by free software advocate Richard Stallman. There have been many versions and variations of Emacs, including versions for Windows. In 1981, James Gosling, the creator of Java, created the first Emacs-like editor to run on Unix, known as Gosling Emacs. In 1984, Stallman began working on GNU Emacs to produce a free software alternative to Gosling Emacs—which Gosling had sold to a company called UniPress to distribute commercially.
Now, enter Microsoft. It is not clear whether Microsoft plans to adopt any of the Emacs code or to do its own Emacs-like editor.

Source
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2242809,00.asp

seems i missed this from a few days ago and cant post it on the front page, although its a good article

More Microsoft innovation.

Stealing yet another program ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back