Microsoft Expands Windows Piracy Check

L

Lee

Microsoft Expands Windows Piracy Check

More users will have to validate their OS before downloading software.

Expanding its measures to combat software piracy, Microsoft will require users who want to download local language add-ons to Windows to first validate their copy of the operating system as legitimate.

Microsoft offers versions of Windows XP in 24 languages at present. It supports an additional 20 languages with free operating system add-ons, called Windows XP Language Interface Packs. The add-ons do not offer complete translations of the Windows XP user interface, but cover many of its common features.

Over the coming months, Microsoft will require users who want to download the add-ons to first authenticate their copy of Windows, blocking access for users of pirated Windows copies, the company says in a statement. The first add-on to be affected will be the Vietnamese language interface pack, which was made available this week and requires validation to download.

Read More & Source

If I'm not mistaken, these LIPs have been around since XP was introduced back in 2001. It already comes with Win XP Pro for those who live in countries where English is not the common language.

EDIT: Just a cut down version of the Multilingual User Interface Pack I guess

I love it when they do this.

Workaround: Download the software on a valid XP system, and burn, FTP, whatever to the PC that has been blocked.

Install. Done.

Mastershakes said:
I love it when they do this.

Workaround: Download the software on a valid XP system, and burn, FTP, whatever to the PC that has been blocked.

Install. Done.
Amen.

They'll never stop piracy, it's fun to watch them try though. :D

why dont they just do this for there Windows Update, rather than for all their useles add-ons that hardly anyone wants?

thekore said:
why dont they just do this for there Windows Update, rather than for all their useles add-ons that hardly anyone wants?

Good point Kore. I totally agree. I believe they will, remember the anti-spyware install? 'Windows Genuine Activation' -- some active X they install on your IE...

However - once they do.

Go ahead and cruise on over to Microsoft Technet and download the updates they put out for SysAdmins ---- pretty little executable files those updates are.

thekore said:
because that would have a higher success rate and might actually do good, which could drive a small minority (of pirates) off the windows platform, which in turn would lose them market share... something they really don't want.

Didn't even think about it that way Speedy, good point.

Here's another thought. Could it be that, just maybe, MS cares? If they block Windows Update off to legitamite users only, it opens a small security hole - the pirate's systems may be compromised, and turned into Zombies for DDOS attacks and such.... MS is trying to vamp their security image these days, so wouldn't it make sense to try to update as many systems as possible in a timely fashion?

no because Microsoft is pure evil and was birthed by the devil himself.
Piracy is sooo easy, they shouldn't even bother to try, theres no point

there are so many corporate versions seeded on the net for this to make to much of an impact. For example, i have just saw one pop up on my torrent RSS feeds with SP2 slipstreamed and no serials needed. Thats just how easy it is.

Mastershakes said:
ROFL. Nice quip. However, I think the correct term is 'spawned' heheheheh :)
I was going to go for spawed, but its so cliched. Birthed is an aceptable synonym

MS does have a weak system to prevent this sort of thing. Back in my loser days when I used their OS w/o paying for it, there were TONS of work arounds. They have their own work around too, which is amazingly easy to do(wont mention).

SPeedY_B said:
...it's fun to watch them try though. :D

It is very fun, can't wait to see what they come up with next :D

thekore said:
SPeedY_B said:
because that would have a higher success rate and might actually do good, which could drive a small minority (of pirates) off the windows platform, which in turn would lose them market share... something they really don't want.
Actually, it's because WU is used to deliver critical security updates and patches. If those aren't made available to every Windows system connected to the internet (including pirated copies), it would pose a huge problem for everyone, including legitimate users.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back