Microsoft Deepfish Preview for Windows Mobile

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Logo_Deepfish_Thumbnail.png

I remember seeing a preview of this sometime last year, but a public build is now finally available. :)
Deepfish is a new type of mobile information browsing experience, aimed at preserving the rich layout and full form of documents on mobile devices while providing novel ways of effectively navigating that content on small screens. Deepfish's unique interface enables you to zoom in and out of page, quickly getting to the areas you are interested in without screen length after screen length of scrolling. And because the layout is preserved, navigation menus, lists of search results or news headlines, and other elements that might have been bent so thoroughly to fit the usual single column layout that they were no longer legible can now be browsed simply and easily. A consequence of Deepfish's multi-resolution approach to browsing pages is that it loads a thumbnail of pages initially and then only what is needed for more detail when requested or in the background as you browse the initial the view, resulting in substantially quicker load times for most pages.​
http://labs.live.com/Deepfish/default.aspx

Wow! That looks cool - now if only I had a device capable of using it...

Maybe in the summer when my phone contract runs out :)

My PDA chokes opening the calendar most days so I'll have to wait for this one in WM6 which is apparently confusingly based on CE5 though CE6 is also being released soon :p or at least thats what I read somewhere

My PDA chokes opening the calendar most days so I'll have to wait for this one...
You have the SPV M600, don't you? That has the same OMAP850 processor as my MDA/Wizard. I'm guessing the carrier-specific bundleware in the extended ROM might be slowing things down. You should consider doing a backup, hard-resetting the device, and immediately soft-resetting it before the extROM gets installed. That helped to significantly speed up my device (although it was never as slow as you're describing), and I have more free memory now to install apps that are actually useful. :)

WM6 which is apparently confusingly based on CE5 though CE6 is also being released soon :p or at least thats what I read somewhere
Yeah, that's true. Odd decision, really. I always thought "Crossbow" would become WM 5.x and "Photon" would become WM 6. But then "Crossbow" became WM 6 although it's built on WinCE 5. :D

You have the SPV M600, don't you? That has the same OMAP850 processor as my MDA/Wizard. I'm guessing the carrier-specific bundleware in the extended ROM might be slowing things down. You should consider doing a backup, hard-resetting the device, and immediately soft-resetting it before the extROM gets installed. That helped to significantly speed up my device (although it was never as slow as you're describing), and I have more free memory now to install apps that are actually useful. :)

Yeah, that's true. Odd decision, really. I always thought "Crossbow" would become WM 5.x and "Photon" would become WM 6. But then "Crossbow" became WM 6 although it's built on WinCE 5. :D

I am beginning to wonder if its all caused by my simply copying the contents of my old memory card to the new one, some software I installed and have since removed seems to still be hanging around as well. I am tempted to simply try resetting it and starting over with it clean. Only downside is that I'll have to figure out what the hell I did with my MS VoiceCommand license key :p

Mind you, its probably coming up to upgrade time, so I could just get a new pda phone.

I know someone who worked in the same office as the project lead so I am getting them to prod hard and get me on to the beta.

What the eff?!

iPhone has this sweet browser that looks a whole lot (functionally) like Deepfish. If anyone knows someone at Microsoft (preferably Bill Gates) that can get this thing moving, get them to open up the beta again.

Apple will murder them in no time with their sweet mobile browser (and I'm no Apple fan, but what I've seen of that browser is 100% awesome).

The beta has gone to invite-only. =\

Great product though. I would imagine you would see this built into IE Mobile in WM7.

It really needs an update, was trying to use it recently and there is so much potential but so much missing!

I am beginning to wonder if its all caused by my simply copying the contents of my old memory card to the new one, some software I installed and have since removed seems to still be hanging around as well. I am tempted to simply try resetting it and starting over with it clean. Only downside is that I'll have to figure out what the hell I did with my MS VoiceCommand license key :p

Mind you, its probably coming up to upgrade time, so I could just get a new pda phone.
might be your internet files, check those out and delete, if that's the problem set it to only keep those no more then three days

then try to get all your programs and files onto your memory stick but you can't use the memory stick for ie, it's not stable if you do that

I wiped the whole device and restarted and its been better. I think it also helps not having the MissingSync app on it but it now means that to synchronise I have to dump my Address Book contents to vCard, then split the single vCard into multiple vCards cause MS Outlook still can't sodding read a multi object vCard file, then copy that into the Parallels Windows VM, import the vCards into MS Outlook, then sync the phone with ActiveSync.

As you can imagine I don't sync all that often.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back