microsoft CD replacement

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
i just htought i would share my story. but i have a legit copy of Xp pro from a long time ago. had some OS problems so i went to reload my OS and i found a large crack from the center of the cd. i called M$ and told them my situation and they are sending me a brand new disk with all the updates as well as a new serial number. all i have to pay is $29 for shipping and processing of the CD...but it will be here in about 4 days.

thought that was kinda neat. just thought i would share this.

i found the number to reach them here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

they just asked me what the part number of my CD is. never asked me for my serial number.

I would have expected them to send you a replacement CD, but a new product key too? That's interesting. :)

I guess they would deactivate the old product key. Otherwise you'd have two.

they didnt state that my old key would be deactivated. but i doubt the key will work with the cd they are sending me. i have tried other legit copies of xp and the key that i have wouldnt work. although i think the cd's i used were OEM's. but who knows.

i just wish it would get here. stupid holiday today. one more day of waiting.

A product key isn't tied to an installation disk. You could copy a friend's install disk as long as you had your own product key to use.

Ok OK, what if you have a Pre Made PC that came with no "restore cd" and you messed your computer up. Its has a product key on the back, can you spend the $29 and get a XP cd?

All that matters is the product key. Without it, the install disk would be worthless. Just copy a friend's disk and use your product key. The only reason this wouldn't work is if the disk (or key) is OEM.

Man, I might have to try that too.... I emailed them two weeks ago asking if they would replace my XP CD with one that has SP2. They replied saying they don't do CD replacements and that I should go to their Windows Update site and download SP2. :s

You can easily slipstream sp2 into an XP install disk.

Slipstreaming will allow you to take your XP CD that does not have SP2 on it and make another CD that does have SP2 which means less updates after install.

Do a search on slipstream SP2 and you will find lots of articles to read with different methods of slipstreaming.

An easy way to slipsteam is by using Nlite.

muzikool said:
You can easily slipstream sp2 into an XP install disk.

I've got one... Just wanted an original CD with the MS hologram and logo on it, that's all. :p

If you buy an OEM PC, you have to call the manufacturer to get a restore disc. They will also charge you a fee (Dell is around $20.00).

As for slipstreaming, I don't think you can slipstream OEM discs, I might be wrong.

madmatt said:
If you buy an OEM PC, you have to call the manufacturer to get a restore disc. They will also charge you a fee (Dell is around $20.00).

As for slipstreaming, I don't think you can slipstream OEM discs, I might be wrong.
You can, but you must use a OEM liceanse. I keep a copy of Home and Pro on my system at home that I try to keep up to date to burn for new builds as I only buy OEM's.

As AZ said, NLite is a great program for slipstreaming. It's really easy to use.

ming said:
Man, I might have to try that too.... I emailed them two weeks ago asking if they would replace my XP CD with one that has SP2. They replied saying they don't do CD replacements and that I should go to their Windows Update site and download SP2. :s

go to the link i used and call the support number. all they ask from you is your part number on the disk starts with an 'X' i think then they get your info. thats it. pretty simple.

IDLE said:
i just htought i would share my story. but i have a legit copy of Xp pro from a long time ago. had some OS problems so i went to reload my OS and i found a large crack from the center of the cd. i called M$ and told them my situation and they are sending me a brand new disk with all the updates as well as a new serial number. all i have to pay is $29 for shipping and processing of the CD...but it will be here in about 4 days.

thought that was kinda neat. just thought i would share this.

i found the number to reach them here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;326246

they just asked me what the part number of my CD is. never asked me for my serial number.

Mine split in July 2004.

It cost me £16.82 for a new one.

I paid for xp pro upgrade sp2, they sent me sp1 saying that their customers could'nt use sp2.

The department is in Hounslow London.

0870-6010100

Thats for UK customers if they're interested.

They asked me for the cd, which i sent and like you they sent me a new disk with a new serial and scrapped my old serial.

Disk is like a copper stained colour with not for retail or OEM distribution.

I did however have a slipstreamed copy already, just wanted a legit original incase I wanted to sell it in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back