Microsoft Avalanche

oh, wow. this is totally SO....not cool.
hehe
sorry for all the ms advocates out there

madmatt said:
N/R, the new OWA is awesome compaired to past versions. You might also look into setting up RPC over HTTP which is even better for working from home.
Yeah, I've seen it in action. Very slick stuff. My MSDNAA access has temporarily been disabled since the quarter just ended. Should be back up next week. :)

wind3D said:
hehe

What else would you expect from a Microsoft fan site and a Microsoft thread? If you could, you would.

N/R, let me know how it goes.

wind3D said:
hehe
Please explain. Oh and don't throw me in with MS lovers just because I like MS's ideas on how to make something like BT better for everyone. :p

If it doesn't let you get bootlegged movies, it's so not cool. Right? :rolleyes:

NetRyder said:
If it doesn't let you get bootlegged movies, it's so not cool. Right? :rolleyes:
I think the fact that it could lead to me (everyone) being able to download legit movies is MUCH cooler. I just hope it becomes multiplatform. :)

Xie said:
Please explain. Oh and don't throw me in with MS lovers just because I like MS's ideas on how to make something like BT better for everyone. :p
Oh no, what have I gotten myself into......

Hey Xie, how would Avalanche make BT better for everyone? I am just curious as to what Avalance can do that another P2P / torrent client can't?

wind3D said:
Oh no, what have I gotten myself into......

Hey Xie, how would Avalanche make BT better for everyone? I am just curious as to what Avalance can do that another P2P / torrent client can't?
The abstract of the research paper (I posted the link above) actually addresses that question. One of the primary goals of the project is to come up with a way to address some of the bottlenecks in the current implementation of BT that lead to slow downloads under certain conditions.

MSR and Microsoft are two different entities. MSR does not ship products. It focuses on tech research - how new stuff can make things simpler, how existing products and technologies can be made better...stuff like that. Avalanche too, is a research project; it's not a product in and of itself.

In any case, there's been a lot of buzz about this all over the web, accompanied in many places by the usual negative spin that follows almost every announcement that MSFT makes these days. Kevin Schoefield actually wrote up this great post the other day which clears up lots of issues that are floating around. Worth a read :)
http://radio.weblogs.com/0133184/2005/06/21.html

wind3D said:
I suggest you read the pdf linked in the Register here. Some really cool features that would 1) limit even more so the load on original server 2) make it possible to download a number of parts to a file and construct a larger chuck w/out actually having to download it all (very cool)

With this method you would save everyone bandwidth and everyone would get the file FASTER. :) It's just like BT v.2 .. it's not replacing BT as much as just adding some new kick ass features to the underworkings.

MS is actually coming up with a ton of exciting stuf fif you filter out the noise of habitual MS bashers like ElementalDragon and winded (mentioning no names of course :p)

ASP.NET 2.0 looks like it could shave a heap of time off of web development projects too.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ for all sorts of cool stuff happening over at MSFT :D

LordOfLA said:
MS is actually coming up with a ton of exciting stuff if you filter out the noise of habitual MS bashers like ElementalDragon and winded (mentioning no names of course :p)

ASP.NET 2.0 looks like it could shave a heap of time off of web development projects too.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ for all sorts of cool stuff happening over at MSFT :D
agreed.gif

Avalanche sounds exciting however you look at it. Not to slam on BG or MS but it has appeared to me over the years that BG has often taken the ideas from others. (Steve Jobs-Apple, Xerox, etc, etc, bla bla bla) the Xbox 360 for example is in some ways is what BG wanted to create after looking at a modded Xbox with the XBMC in it. He thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread from what I've heard. (?) Anyway say what you will, BG is gold and has a proven track record and bank account to go with it.. Once a pirate, always a pirate I guess.

i stand corrected i suppose. thought it was a stand alone service being developed by MS to make money...if it is indeed a BT v 2.0, then i could definately support that. i cant read up on it now, though, not enough time...but will it introduce any sort of restrictions to any sort of file being shared? because if it did, that would be sort of like my freedom of speech being violated, which has happened before...which doesnt feel very good :)

well, sorry for being pessimistic, but i guess after all of those blue screens and system crashes i went through with early version of windows, i've been wary of anything they lay their fingers on every since. call me crzy - i call it holding a grudge :)

Depends on how you look at it. Unlike most other P2P apps today, all files shared over this proposed network need to be digitally signed. You can look at that as a restriction, or a way to give the shared files more accountability and legitimacy.

NetRyder said:
Depends on how you look at it. Unlike most other P2P apps today, all files shared over this proposed network need to be digitally signed. You can look at that as a restriction, or a way to give the shared files more accountability and legitimacy.
Indeed. It could maybe push folks like the MPAA to allow legit movie downloads or the like.

On the other hand as MS's suggestions are just that, suggestions, I don't think they are stopping anyone from making a client w/ everything but the restrictions either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back