Microsoft Acquires GIANT

Posted on the frontpage earlier today: http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=11567

Seems to be the age of acquisitions. :)

Microsoft takes over VirtualPC from Connectix
Google takes over Blogger from Pyra Labs
Microsoft takes over RAV antivirus from GeCad
Google takes over Picasa and Hello
Microsoft takes over LookOut search
Google takes over Keyhole
Microsoft takes over Giant anti-spyware

And that's just Google and Microsoft. Apparently, Symantec has plans to take over Veritas soon. Crazy stuff going on. :D

I hope microsoft does something good with this. I dont really like the program much but if they improve it then i might switch from ad-ware

This is good news! It would be great great if they added a service like that into Windows.

NetRyder said:
Posted on the frontpage earlier today: http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=11567

Seems to be the age of acquisitions. :)

Microsoft takes over VirtualPC from Connectix
Google takes over Blogger from Pyra Labs
Microsoft takes over RAV antivirus from GeCad
Google takes over Picasa and Hello
Microsoft takes over LookOut search
Google takes over Keyhole
Microsoft takes over Giant anti-spyware

And that's just Google and Microsoft. Apparently, Symantec has plans to take over Veritas soon. Crazy stuff going on. :D

I think the way this corporations think that the best way to beat the competition is to buy them out. Or instead of starting your division from the ground up, just buy one outright.

Heeter

Unwonted said:
This is good news! It would be great great if they added a service like that into Windows.
I agree. Something like what they've done with Windows Firewall would also keep competitors happy.
Provide a built-in spyware monitoring utility that's enabled by default, but give the third-party software higher precedence if the user chooses to install something else.

Heeter said:
I think the way this corporations think that the best way to beat the competition is to buy them out. Or instead of starting your division from the ground up, just buy one outright.

Heeter
Yeah, that's the smart thing to do.
Looking at the above examples, it's worked out well for end-users...at least for the most part. Google brought in vast improvements to Blogger after it was bought over, and Picasa was converted to a free product. Microsoft took over LookOut, a search plugin for Outlook and was able to use some of the ideas to deliver a superb product - MSN desktop search (although they don't share any source code). Now that MS has an AV and an anti-spyware tool in it's grip, it should be interesting to see how it ties that into the OS without causing a flurry of anti-trust lawsuits. :)

NetRyder said:
Apparently, Symantec has plans to take over Veritas soon. Crazy stuff going on. :D
I think it's been completed already or is in the final stages of completing if im not mistaken.. let me go check that again. :p

funny that they dont recommend it themselves;)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywareremove.mspx
"Here are a few well-known tools that can help you detect and remove unwanted software from your computer:
• Lavasoft Ad Aware
• Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D)"

heheh funnily no mention of Giant

they should just fix IE ;) or move to Firefox, and youll never need any anti spyware apps again

I wonder if they'll incorporate it into a future version of Windows or a separate product. In any case I kinda like these takeovers. Gives a company that might go down the tube a chance to create something useful.

/wonders what the firefox comunity would think if ms aquired the bird

vern said:
I wonder if they'll incorporate it into a future version of Windows or a separate product. In any case I kinda like these takeovers. Gives a company that might go down the tube a chance to create something useful.
From what I've heard/read, Longhorn will include minimal of components/apps. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but I think it'll do us all good if it is true since many of us wants IE/Media player and so and so removed anyway.

With all these security updates that are being told about the new windows I wouldn't be surprised if they integrate it with windows, as well as put an anitvirus in. Now if they would work on the firewall a little better you would have everything you need right out of the box. Sounds like a monopoly to me .. But if they are trying make it better for the surfer then I don't have any probs with it ..

_kC_ said:
or move to Firefox, and youll never need any anti spyware apps again
Common sense and a little bit of care is much more effective than a browser switch.

I use Firefox, but my brother, for example, uses IE (and I did a long time ago too), and he's never faced any spyware problems either. Admittedly, the likelihood of acquiring malware is higher with IE...it's the price you have to pay for ActiveX support...but that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be affected if you're using IE or be completely safe if you're using Firefox.

Enable ActiveX filtering in IE (on by default), tweak the cookies and zones settings a bit, and you have nothing to worry about with IE 6 SP2 either (apart from poor standards and CSS support).

don't forget to remove the MSJVM too if you are using IE. CWS can infect a fully patched SP2 PC that is still running MS java.

Unwonted said:

yes - qualified agreement (emphasis on the IF!) But they really have to include it into the baseline XP OS before it is good news.... then again I have my reservations, because they will not be producing OSX or Linux versions, whereas GIANT would have been open to that.

So we coudl still be headed towards the sort of ANTI -TRUST situation as the browser wars (which I sincerely hope IE is finally going to lose since it is simply inferior).... Just M$ are diverting to other less visible areas now, but still trying for "lock in" scenarios where you have to be on their OS for their support tools....

Just a little input from me - I am watching carefully though - have not yet committed to buying perfectdisc - that is one area where M$ might need to consider further acquisitions or improvements to their OS.....

Mainframeguy said:
yes - qualified agreement (emphasis on the IF!) But they really have to include it into the baseline XP OS before it is good news.... then again I have my reservations, because they will not be producing OSX or Linux versions, whereas GIANT would have been open to that.

So we coudl still be headed towards the sort of ANTI -TRUST situation as the browser wars (which I sincerely hope IE is finally going to lose since it is simply inferior).... Just M$ are diverting to other less visible areas now, but still trying for "lock in" scenarios where you have to be on their OS for their support tools....
How exactly does integrating an anti-spyware tool into the OS classify as being a "lock-in scenario?"

The last time I checked, Linux and OS X didn't have major spyware issues (if any at all), and I highly doubt Giant would produce software for a market in which there would be almost zero demand.

Just a little input from me - I am watching carefully though - have not yet committed to buying perfectdisc - that is one area where M$ might need to consider further acquisitions or improvements to their OS.....
XP's built-in defragmentation utility is a cut-down version of Diskeeper. I'm sure you can guess the implications of including a full-featured defragmenter with the OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back