Meta Refresh

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
I use WhatsupGold here at work on a plasma and have it set to poll the sites and refresh every 30 seconds (soon to be reduced to 30 seconds)

I am using the web-browser side of WUG and can therefore customise it as much as I like. Currently uses a meta refresh to update the page every 30 seconds (soon to be 15).. and it flickers... would really like a cleaner way of refreshing the page, ie an invisible transition :eek: :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Won't get to put any into action until tomorrow, but will be trying (if anyone has any ideas) these things tomorrow.

Javascript is allowed :p - but I will have to modify it to work with ASP correctly.

I am sure some javascript can do this, using a preloader of some sort, which caches the reloaded page, and using a nice javascript transition to slowly replace the items/whole page with the new contents.

I am curious, what do you mean by 'it flickers'? Do you mean the plasma screen itself flickers or is WUG somehow flickering? Oh and what is WUG? Is the browser component based on IE?

use some good old PHP (if poss)

Code:
header("Location: $new_url");
but don't think can have a 30 second delay (of course it would be easy to set a loop to do it

Code:
header("Refresh:30;URL=index.html");

This is how you refresh in PHP ;) change the 30 in any seconds you want and the index.html is the page you want to load :).

Can still do it the other way if that still proves flicky :)

Yeah, the same kind flicker you see if you press f5 on a local webpage, disappears for a slip second. I don't want that :(

<META http-equiv="REFRESH" content="<%APPLICATION_SETTINGS% WEB_REFRESH_RATE>">

Basically HTML with variables, so should be easy to remove if I can get the javascript code.

Oh wait, I see what you mean. I don't know how much the content to be refreshed actually is, but you can put the static content in a page and put the nonstatic stuff in an iframe in the middle of the page, so only that part dissapears for a second.

You can also use a DHTML transition, but that only works with IE and variants. I don't know where the browser you use is based off, but you can use that if you want. How, I am not sure, since I have never done this. Maybe a javascript can do that, but I have to try first.

Tried javascript and it worked perfectly in the browser, but Active Directory cocked it up :(

Hehe, can happen, don't worry. Anyway, the browser you are referring to in your first post ('the web-browser side of WUG'), is that based of IE? Or another, alternative browser, created by WUG? I have never heard of WUG, so that's why I am asking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back